Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well done - meeting milestones like that is very rewarding
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Better_place
    Options
    I can't sleep, even though I had a relatively busy Saturday here I am wide awake. I have been thinking about money a lot lately so maybe this is playing on my mind. I go through these times of going in on myself due to being in debt. I'm going to be 50 in a couple of months and can't help feeling I should be financially secure at this stage of my life or at least not in debt.
    But, on a more positive note I am a proud mother to a wonderful 16 year old, I do have a good secure job and we have a roof over our heads and although none of us are getting any younger, there is a lot to be grateful for.
    It has helped to write this down and get it out of my head.
    Planning on a quiet Sunday but if the weather stays dry think I may go for a walk. I am also going to clean the car inside and out. MOT due soon..:eek:
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,931 Forumite
    Options
    getting to 50 isn't so bad - and I think at 50 (or more generally at whatever age you are with an older teenager) you are still paying for the family decisions you made. As kids get older they do get cheaper in that they will be keen to find a job and earn some cash and you can spend less on them without depriving them, but on the other hand when they do come to you for help it will be a biggie - and that doesn't go until they are moved out and settled in.

I would be worried if you were still in debt coming up to 60 as then you are running against the income potential clock- so slow and steady for a few years will see you clear and getting clear is a pretty good motivator for those dark moments along the journey
  • Better_place
    Options
    Thank you - this is just what I needed and you are totally right. I suppose debt comes and goes for all of us.
    My DD is actually looking for a job so like you say, I can now prepare for the big expenses rather than the everyday bits.
    Talking of big expenses I'm going to clean the car now, the sun is out. Yay :j
  • Better_place
    Options
    Well I'm baffled by CRS - they have accepted my original offer of repayment but told me to go to their website and set it up on there. When I entered my details it told me that from their calculations I could only afford x amount and that I need to make a lower payment - which I did. Also told me that this will be subject to review. More to save for full and finals :T
    Chilly out there today, and at work... the office I work in takes a long time to warm up. Doesn't usually bother me because I'm normally sat here with the fan on, but not today.
    I'm off out to meet up with friends tonight - and this time I have saved for it - nothing extravagant, just a bite to eat and a catch-up - really looking forward to it. All I need to do now is get the next four hours of work out the way....
  • Better_place
    Options
    Had a nice evening out with friends on Monday and the next time is already booked in.
    I have to say it's been a tough week at work so far, feels like every day I never actually get anything done even though I'm always busy. Looking forward to an early finish tomorrow. DD leaves college early on Friday and she's going off to do the shopping for the week. I'll meet her at the supermarket and drive her home. She offered to do the shop as she says she wants to help me more :) bless her.
    Gonna move my room around at the weekend and sort the spare room.
    Time for a cuppa me thinks;)
  • Better_place
    Options
    I moved my room around and it looks much better now. DD and I cleaned out the furies (rabbits), I didn't get round to sorting through the spare room, but was pleased with what was achieved yesterday. Saturday was chore day and I had to pop into town to get a pressie for a colleague at work.
    Talking of work, I have made a decision to speak to my boss as I'm finding my current role too stressful. I'm hopeful she will agree to me doing something like I used to do, secretarial, rather than management. This will be a hit to the wages and I will have to write to all creditors again slightly reducing my plans with them... what joy! I want to be happy in my job, life is too short to not be. I'm already in my DMP, what's another year or so, I will get there. One thing I've learnt on this forum is that slow and steady wins every time, something I can maintain.
    The weather is very threatening at the moment with talk of the dreaded white stuff...
    I was going to say I'm looking forward to an early finish tonight, but then remembered I have a meeting at five.. who has a meeting at five? :mad:
  • mark55man
    Options
    Good luck with that discussion - sometimes a managerial role is stressful becasue you are trying to do too much. You could consider asking your manager to review what jobs you are being asked to do, and consider asking if he could identify any training to help with aspects you are finding troublesome. its a big move to give it up completely!

is part of the problem that you are now managing people who were colleagues? thats common and ther is lots of guidance on line
  • Better_place
    Options
    I met with my manager, she was most surprised by what I said. She said I'm doing really well and to not make any hasty decisions. I have her full support and will ve doing more training/learning. And yes, I am managing people who were my peers so the whole dynamic of the office has changed. My boss said to believe in myself. I am taking this advice on board for all aspects of my life.
    It's completely white here as I guess it is in most parts and it's still falling :eek:
  • mark55man
    Options
    sounds like she could with some lessons in how to mentor her new appointments but overall that sounds like a very positive outcome for you

if you wanted to get a bit more advice from MSE, why not start a thread on the employment board asking for advice on how to deal with your transition (either in general, or if there was a specific issue/specific group causing you stress)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills