*Resolved with conclusion* Virgin Media no service. What can I do?

Options
13»

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2018 at 12:25AM
    Options
    OP, I may have missed it, but can't see anywhere whether you say you are on cable VM or phone line VM for BB.
    VM stopped doing broadband over telephone lines years ago. Some cable faults will impact neighbours too but often they won't. A typical screw up I was victim of before I left was when they did a fresh install for someone on your cabinet they would mess up the power levels on existing customer taps. You can check those levels yourself - there are pinned posts on the cable forum board or certainly used to be detailing how.

===
    Still there - https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26006
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    A typical screw up I was victim of before I left was when they did a fresh install for someone on your cabinet they would mess up the power levels on existing customer taps.
    While such errors may well happen, it's unlikely to be taking so long to fix if it's such a simple "fault".
    In all honesty, there is little point guessing at the cause since it won't be the OP who fixes the problem.
    Also, while I do now sympathise with the OP, the fact is that such localised outages do occur with other providers so there is little point cancelling the service-especially while still in the minimum term. It's certainly annoying, but I'm sure they are working hard to restore service as quickly as possible.
  • driocket
    Options
    Has anyone read this article:

BBC News - Broadband customers to get automatic compensation
    (Can't link new user)

Unfortunately it goes live early 2019 - the date my broadband will be finally fixed?
    Hopefully not.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only difference is now you ask for it .
    Simply days without times daily charge .
    Possible £30 thrown in for inconveniance.
  • driocket
    Options
    Update

It's 14th Dec and still not come back.
    I called them and they said the outage is fixed (yay!)

But it seems my router is broken so they're sending a technician on 17th Dec to swap it out.

Light at the end of the tunnel?
  • tomatoes1234
    Options
    I lost three days service no refund bloody rip off they even got the cheek to charge me extra £3 this month my bill now is £35 only for 70mb broadband cannot wait to ditch this company and use my AYCE 3 sim home broadband atleast 3uk refund me £10 for two hour signal problems.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    my bill now is £35 only for 70mb broadband
    Not quite true - it includes a phone line, not just broadband:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75142964&postcount=6
  • Pluto88888
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    Not quite true - it includes a phone line, not just broadband:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75142964&postcount=6

But still a rip off I ditched virgin using a £11 unlimited hotspot 3uk getting 80 mb in my area saving me £20+ each month I hardly even use the landline.
  • driocket
    Options
    It's 17th Dec and its finally working!!
    The technician said they had to reconnect the house to the external green box on the road.

Apparently (a while ago) the cable from the Box to my house was damaged, so they split the functioning neighbours cable - half going to them and the other half to mine.

But the neighbours cancelled during the outage and an Virgin cut off the connection to their house - which also cut mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure