MSE News: Energy bills to vary MORE by region under price cap - so are you a winner or a loser?

in Energy
6 replies 866 views
MSE_Stephen_BMSE_Stephen_B MSE Staff
76 Posts
Fourth Anniversary First Post
MSE Staff
Energy prices for those on standard tariffs are likely to vary more between different parts of the country after the introduction of Ofgem's price cap next month, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal - with households in the South West set to pay an average £62 a year more than those in Yorkshire...
Read the full story:
'Energy bills to vary MORE by region under price cap - so are you a winner or a loser?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• EachPennyEachPenny Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoneySavingExpert.com deputy editor Guy Anker said: "The regional variations highlight what is a postcode lottery whereby some are harshly penalised simply for living in the ‘wrong area’.
    Guy, if you are reading this, it would be interesting to know why - if it costs more to suppy electricity in one area than another - that you consider it is unfair for people living in the more expensive area to pay a little bit more?

Isn't it a similar situation to Council Tax where people might pay extra if they are living in a borough that spends a bit more than another one? I've never heard this being described as a 'postcode lottery'.

As for 'harshly penalised' - the average for the OFGEM price cap is £1,137. The most expensive (SWEB) is £1,173. If my maths is right that works out at 3.2% more than the average. 3.2% doesn't sound like a harsh penalty, given the savings which can be made by switching anyway. Have I missed something here?

MSE do great work... but that great work relies on balanced and fair information being presented. Long may it continue. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • oldwiringoldwiring Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    this might be interesting/, if the many references to comparison sites are ignored.
  • delboy61delboy61 Forumite
    23 Posts
    Well what's the point having a price cap from January 2019 I have THTC Standard tariff my rates at the present time are (NIGHT RATE £0.1281) DAY RATE £0.2208 and STANDING CHARGE £0.1918 all with VAT , from the 1st of January its going to be (NIGHT RATE £0.1278 DOWN £0.0003 OF A PENNY) DAY RATE £0.2202 DOWN £0.0006 OF A PENNY and BETTER STILL STANDING CHARGE IS £0.2655 GOING UP £0.0737 PENCE and they say this will help to keep the prices down What a joke I AM GOING TO SAVE £1.80 DAY TIME AND £2.70 NIGHT TIME BUT PAY £26.90 MORE FOR THE STANDING CHARGE over a year , one of my work mates are on a different company (NO NAMES) but on there PRICE CAP there PRICES are ACTUALLY coming down DAY RATE DOWN BY 3 PENCE AND NIGHT RATE COMING DOWN BY 1.5 PENCE But STANDING CHARGE GOING UP BY 8 PENCE ,So after being with SSE since 1992 (26 years) I think it time for a CHANGE.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delboy61 wrote: »
    Did you really think that OFGEM meddling in a free market was actually going to reduce prices ?
  • waveletswavelets Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    delboy61 wrote: »
    Well what's the point having a price cap from January 2019 I have THTC Standard tariff my rates at the present time are (NIGHT RATE £0.1281) DAY RATE £0.2208 and STANDING CHARGE £0.1918 all with VAT , from the 1st of January its going to be (NIGHT RATE £0.1278 DOWN £0.0003 OF A PENNY) DAY RATE £0.2202 DOWN £0.0006 OF A PENNY and BETTER STILL STANDING CHARGE IS £0.2655 GOING UP £0.0737 PENCE and they say this will help to keep the prices down What a joke I AM GOING TO SAVE £1.80 DAY TIME AND £2.70 NIGHT TIME BUT PAY £26.90 MORE FOR THE STANDING CHARGE over a year , one of my work mates are on a different company (NO NAMES) but on there PRICE CAP there PRICES are ACTUALLY coming down DAY RATE DOWN BY 3 PENCE AND NIGHT RATE COMING DOWN BY 1.5 PENCE But STANDING CHARGE GOING UP BY 8 PENCE ,So after being with SSE since 1992 (26 years) I think it time for a CHANGE.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74780609&postcount=279 :cool:

Don't even think about it with your current metering.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Guy, if you are reading this, it would be interesting to know why - if it costs more to suppy electricity in one area than another - that you consider it is unfair for people living in the more expensive area to pay a little bit more?

Isn't it a similar situation to Council Tax where people might pay extra if they are living in a borough that spends a bit more than another one? I've never heard this being described as a 'postcode lottery'.

As for 'harshly penalised' - the average for the OFGEM price cap is £1,137. The most expensive (SWEB) is £1,173. If my maths is right that works out at 3.2% more than the average. 3.2% doesn't sound like a harsh penalty, given the savings which can be made by switching anyway. Have I missed something here?

MSE do great work... but that great work relies on balanced and fair information being presented. Long may it continue. :)

There is a detailed paper about this on the Ofgem website. Ofgem is sticking with the present system - at least, for the moment.

Quote: It is legally possible to introduce national network charges but the change from the current approach would need to be justified against various criteria in European law, particularly on cost reflectivity. There are international (including European Union) examples, both of systems like ours and ones more akin to national network charges.

There are potentially significant implications for the regulatory framework and incentives we have implemented or will be implementing to encourage energy efficiency on the networks, if we were to move away from a cost reflective approach.

There are regulatory advantages in charges that broadly reflect the costs that different users place on the system Unquote
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides