IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Brittania PPC Newbie post

Options

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,351 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It means your witness statement, evidence and costs schedule.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, same as you read about in all the other claim threads, with examples galore every week to copy from. We would hope you were expecting this and be half prepared with a WS, evidence & a costs schedule on the go already.

If not, read other threads ahead of you (ANY PPC) and copy from what they did.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Taliessa
    Options
    "We would hope you were expecting this and be half prepared with a WS, evidence & a costs schedule on the go already."

Thankyou Coupon-Mad yes you are right, I guess I am half prepared. Was hoping for the case being struck out due to abuse of process especially as it was the same court, but alas a different judge. I am assuming that the fact that signs and ANPR camera had no planning permission and signs have had to be removed from one half of the site due to planning permission being refused for those makes no difference to my case?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    It is worth saying as you never know what dim view the Judge might take of that.
  • Taliessa
    Options
    Can I send WS and all evidence to Claimant and Court by e-mail? Or must it be sent via the post?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sometimes it is possible but courts have strict limits on what they will print , if at all

What you should be doing is making a bundle containing the following

Witness statement
    Exhibits
    Costs schedule

Then drop that into the court in person and obtain a receipt

Plus email the claimant the same bundle , plus post it with a free certificate of posting as well

Keep a third one to take with you on the day

Trying to cut corners or being lazy by expecting to email stuff and letting others doing the printing is bound to fail

Follow the advice in the newbies thread plus other court case threads , there is plenty of advice here if you search for it
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I would not do the court's file by email, given the pages needed (including all evidence, photos, case law - NOT THE BEAVIS CASE - other exhibits, WS, contents page and costs schedule.

Present it nicely in a ring binder for the Judge, and number every page and exhibit.
  • Taliessa
    Taliessa Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This article was printed yesterday in our local paper. This situation is pretty much identical to mine. Can I include this article as part of my paperwork?
    I thought you would be interested to see this anyway as it is a win!

Driver celebrates court victory against controversial car park enforcers
    By Chris March -6 October, 2019

A TRIUMPHANT motorist feels “vindicated” after overturning a penalty charge imposed by a company enforcing a controversial parking restriction by a shopping parade.

Philip Nippard defeated Britannia Parking in court after it penalised him for over-staying the 20-minute limit at New Milton’s Old Milton Green car park, off the A337 Christchurch Road.

As reported in the A&T, several motorists have fallen foul of the camera-controlled restriction since it came into force about two years ago.

Britannia had been hired as enforcers by the car park’s landlord, a businessman largely based in London who also owns the building that hosts the Launderama laundrette in the parade.

Mr Nippard (67) and his wife Caroline parked their Kia Ceed in the car park to have a meal at The Raj Indian restaurant on the evening of 13th December 2017.

“It was a dark, cold and wet night, and we drove into the car park from Southern Way, which is a one-way road,” he recalled to the A&T.

“We went into the entrance right by The Raj, which was later changed to exit only.”

Pointing out the first he knew of the 20-minute restriction was when he received the penalty charge notice in the post just over a week later, Mr Nippard argued the signage had not been visible in the dark.

This, he said, was in breach of guidelines issued by the British Parking Association, of which Britannia claims to be an accredited member.

The letter, telling him his vehicle had been caught exceeding the 20-minute parking restriction, said he was liable for a £100 penalty which could be reduced to £60 if he paid within a limited time.

In his evidence for the hearing at Bournemouth County Court, Mr Nippard argued the signs were positioned past what was then the car park’s entrance from Southern Lane. It also did not face the entrance and was obscured by the background lighting of the surrounding area, he said.

Along with photographs he had taken of the car park, he told how the restriction signs were all non-illuminated and positioned along the roadside perimeter wall. He argued this meant they were not easily visible at night from the shopping parade side.

“It’s almost like entrapment,” Mr Nippard told the A&T.

“There is no way you can see the signs from where they are located and where you are stood. I went back there and took pictures and thought I would fight it.

“What they [Britannia Parking] want you to do is pay the £60 to get it out of the way, and in hindsight that might have been the easier thing to do. But if you think something is wrong – I thought it was wrong and it was proved wrong in court – you have to stand up for what you think is right and have your day.”

Following the initial PCN letter from Britannia, Mr Nippard said he was inundated with demands from various debt collection agencies including BW Legal to pay up.

These started with two calls by BW Legal to the landline at the couple’s home in Thetchers Close, when he was asked to provide his bank account details so they could collect the fee.

However, he refused, arguing he was not prepared to surrender such personal information to a cold caller. He added he did not know how the firm got his number.

“I told them on the second call, ‘If you don’t desist, I will report you for harassment’. They stopped calling after that, but the letters continued.

“I think it’s just really over the top for what is really a minor offence. You wouldn’t get this for doing 35mph in a 30mph limit, so it’s really ridiculous!

“You’re put under an enormous amount of strain and stress to get a result.”

Mr Nippard went on to ignore the letters’ repeated demands to provide his bank details so the money could be taken, with the promise that no further action would be taken against him. He also decided not to launch any appeal proceedings, feeling this would be an acknowledgement of guilt.

The amount of money demanded fluctuated up and down over the course of these letters, sent by DRP, Zenith, SCS Law and then BW Legal which had said the sums also covered costs. Starting at £160, it went back down to £100 before finally two demands were made for £242.45.

BW Legal then instigated the court proceedings in a further letter, which Mr Nippard accepted, but he said these proceedings took about five months to get to the hearing.

Concluding his evidence for the case, he had said: “I would state that I did not see any of the signs on the night of the 13th December 2017, I would also state that there was no intention on my part to flout the newly-imposed parking restrictions that had only been installed a few days before.

“For these reasons I did not knowingly enter into any form of contract with Britannia Parking when entering the car park and I am therefore not prepared to pay the cost demanded by BW Legal or others.”

Mr Nippard expressed his astonishment that after going through the lengthy proceedings for the court case, the hearing itself lasted less than half an hour before the judge ruled in his favour.

“It’s an amazing feeling that at last I got some vindication for what I thought was right,” he said.

Responding to the A&T’s questions regarding Mr Nippard’s victory in challenging its claim, Britannia Parking maintained it was a “responsible” regulator. It also insisted all its car parks operated in accordance with the guidelines set out by the BPA.

“The Old [Milton] Green Parade car park in New Milton is operated using an ANPR system and has a maximum stay of 20 minutes,” a spokesperson said.

“It is one of a number of car parks at which we operate the ANPR system.

“We are a member of the British Parking Association and the industry’s Approved Operators Scheme. All of our signs and procedures meet the approved operators code of conduct.

“We are a responsible car park operator and manager of more than 25 years’ standing. We take our responsibilities very seriously, including the need to pursue cases through legal proceedings when necessary.”
  • Taliessa
    Taliessa Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry this might seem like a really silly question. I can't find this info anywhere. It's about the WS from a witness (not the driver or registered keeper) so what I was wondering is, I know my WS as RK has to be listed in number order of separate points with exhibit listings to photos etc. Does the other witness (passenger) also have to write up a WS in the same way? With points numbered and exhibits? Also if exhibits are for example the same photo, but listed in a different order on that WS do you provide the exhibit twice? Hope that makes sense, thankyou.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Does the other witness (passenger) also have to write up a WS in the same way? With points numbered and exhibits?
    No, not unless they want to file some evidence that you have not. Theirs should just be a supporting story (that's all, usually) and they will need to turn up with you, ideally.

And yes you can add that newspaper article as it's about the same site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure