Medical emergency

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Expressing an opinion that you don't share is not sniping. I'm sorry if you feel I've stepped on your toes but I don't recall ever being anything but courteous to you even if I don't always agree with your advice.
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    I agree that a medical emergency is an EC and am on record for stating that in the past. The sanctity of life comes above everything in my opinion.

If the op was on the flight from Dubai they would not have a valid claim, however, as they were waiting for the next flight, they do have a valid claim, if they want to pursue it. At some point the EC has to end and I believe that point is at the end of the affected flight, as it is with bad weather.

Why a valid claim? I got a response from a claim firm saying “It all depends on who required medical attention, if it was a passenger then it unlikely that we would be successful but if it was a crew member then we would definitely be willing to pursue it for you.” it was a passenger.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    The regulations have been around for well over a decade. If prices have gone up because of EU261 (which I doubt) it happened years ago.

And will continue to do so as more jump on the compo bandwagon.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dbrookf wrote: »
    Why a valid claim? I got a response from a claim firm saying “It all depends on who required medical attention if it was a passenger then it unlikely that we would be successful but if it was a crew member then we would definitely be willing to pursue it for you.” it was a passenger.
    Which claim firm told you that?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2018 at 3:11PM
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »

I read somewhere that the airlines already factor the cost of compensation into their prices and is around 50p per person. Until the airlines fully accept their responsibilities and pay compensation that is due and stops trying to get out of paying by lying they deserve everything that comes their way.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »

If there was any reason to think prices had increased in the last 14 years as a result of EU261 I'd probably agree with you but there really isn't. If anything it's cheaper to fly now than it was then. More likely airlines are eating the costs due to the high degree of competition.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or just making it as hard as possible for a legitimate claim to be paid out. The airlines are saving hundreds of thousands of £s by denying passengers legitimate claims.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • nigem
    nigem Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When does the medical emergency end? Is it when the plane returns the passengers back to an airport or when a rescheduled plane gets to its final destination?
    The delay was finally caused because the crew were out of hours.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nigem wrote: »
    When does the medical emergency end? Is it when the plane returns the passengers back to an airport or when a rescheduled plane gets to its final destination?
    The delay was finally caused because the crew were out of hours.

Hi Nigem,

Unfortunately there is no single answer to all the different medical emergency scenarios. Each case must be looked at and assessed individually, it all depends on the detail.

A good way to get a rough idea is to put your flight details into a couple of flight delay calculators such as the one on Bott & Co’s website. If they are willing to take on your case then it is probably claimable.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Which claim firm told you that?

It was Bott & Co...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income