We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Required at Court?

I got a letter saying ‘I am required to go to court as a prosecution witness’. This is at a magistrates court. I rang the number saying I don’t want to do it as I don’t like public speaking and I get stressed and especially as they are going to be cross examining me - whatever that means?

I have not had a summons, yet. But the letter just states ‘I am required’ does anyone know if there is a law I would be breaking if I don’t attend? I did ask on the phone and they couldn’t quote it so I assume I am not breaking any laws by not attending?

I know they can summon me, which would force me but I don’t believe I have had a summons yet. What would happen if I don’t attend?
«13

Comments

  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,652 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    SuperStar wrote: »
    I got a letter saying ‘I am required to go to court as a prosecution witness’. This is at a magistrates court. I rang the number saying I don’t want to do it as I don’t like public speaking and I get stressed and especially as they are going to be cross examining me - whatever that means?

    I have not had a summons, yet. But the letter just states ‘I am required’ does anyone know if there is a law I would be breaking if I don’t attend? I did ask on the phone and they couldn’t quote it so I assume I am not breaking any laws by not attending?

    I know they can summon me, which would force me but I don’t believe I have had a summons yet. What would happen if I don’t attend?

    Legalbeagles might be another to expand the help you get.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Who was the letter from.
  • The witness care team for the local police force
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    They don't call people unless they have to, sometimes the statement is enough but if they need to ask you questions about what happened you will need to go. It's an offence not to turn up, I'm sorry, they can have you arrested if you don't go when summoned; https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/going-to-court-as-a-witness1/you-might-have-to-go-to-court-as-a-witness/if-you-get-a-witness-summons/



    Cross examination just means the defence gets to ask you questions about what happened. If you let them know that speaking in public is very difficult for you they can arrange some extra support for you or they can do things to help. There's contact information at the bottom of the link that I've posted above.
  • They don't call people unless they have to, sometimes the statement is enough but if they need to ask you questions about what happened you will need to go. It's an offence not to turn up, I'm sorry, they can have you arrested if you don't go when summoned; https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/going-to-court-as-a-witness1/you-might-have-to-go-to-court-as-a-witness/if-you-get-a-witness-summons/



    Cross examination just means the defence gets to ask you questions about what happened. If you let them know that speaking in public is very difficult for you they can arrange some extra support for you or they can do things to help. There's contact information at the bottom of the link that I've posted above.

    I have not been summoned, just a letter saying ‘I am required’. Is it different if I haven’t been summoned?

    Also if I am summoned, I guess the letter would state somewhere that I’ve been summoned?
  • What does the letter say, exactly?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 December 2018 at 12:15AM
    So, have you given a statement to the police?
    The word summoned isnt relevant but keep calm :)
    Did you have a leaflet enclosed from witness support?
    Whatever, just remember , you are not the accused, and have done nothing wrong:)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,518 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    SuperStar wrote: »
    I have not been summoned, just a letter saying ‘I am required’. Is it different if I haven’t been summoned?

    Also if I am summoned, I guess the letter would state somewhere that I’ve been summoned?
    Probably a witness warning, a letter saying nicely that you must go to court. If you tell them you will not go or just don't turn up they can then issue a summons.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    SuperStar wrote: »
    I have not been summoned, just a letter saying ‘I am required’. Is it different if I haven’t been summoned?

    Also if I am summoned, I guess the letter would state somewhere that I’ve been summoned?

    You are required to go to court, so go.

    It's not that difficult.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.