heating the summerhouse?

hi i have a summerhouse in the garden which is made entirely of wood. It has electricity so i can have some form of electrical heating.

It is about 4m by 4m and i wonder what would be the best item oil heaters, fan heater or electrical fire to heat the room?

if you have any questions please ask.

Thanks for your help.
January Grocery 11/374

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wooden structure that big will cost a fortune to heat.

A fan heater or electrical fire will cost the same.

With an oil heater, it depends on the price of your fuel
  • david29dpodavid29dpo Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a little log burner in mine burning free wood given to me from as many people as possible. Have about 4 years worth at the moment! But dont burn the summer house!
  • tz1_1zttz1_1zt Forumite
    8 Posts
    We sell lots of stoves to people with summer houses and garden offices. I've written a page on our website with a little info on the kind of installation you could consider and some stove ideas;

Try our page at orionheating.co.uk titled "
    Garden Office, Workshop and Summer House Stoves " (sorry I can't add links yet)

I've included a basic list of parts required for a safe flue system, but of course this would require a detailed consultation with someone knowledgeable in these things. Summer houses usually fall outside the field of 'building control' so the normal regulations need to be considered in that context.
    Regards,
    David
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a small A/C (Heat Pump) unit in my home office (log cabin). It works great for both heating & cooling - with the heating being far more efficient that a normal electric heater.

However, Cardew is right - it's not going to be cheap to heat! I have mine set to run low every day in the WInter as I don't want the paperwork in the office getting damp. Even on low it can chew through a £1 of electric per day.
  • crphillipscrphillips Forumite
    349 Posts
    It's got to be a wood burner.....looks lovely and totally independent. No electric, oil or gas supply required. Expect to spend £1000ish on a stove with good clearances to combustible materials and around £800ish for the twin wall flue installing.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides