Converting Meter Readings to Actual Costs

Hello everyone,
I am trying to work out how to convert my gas and electric meter readings into actual costs.

I decided I would track my energy usage each day to understand how much my kids (2 x teens) and I use, in an effort to reduce and make efficiencies.

I have the electricity one worked out,quite easily - units x cost + daily charge = daily cost

The GAS one is baffling me - I have found online calculators but they only give me an annual charge and I was hoping to have a daily figure to work from.

I wonder if anyone here can provide me with the correct formula??

I thank you in advance

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    For gas take your difference in meter readings and x 11.1 to get kwh. its approx but good enough on a day to day basis.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am trying to work out how to convert my gas and electric meter readings into actual costs.

I decided I would track my energy usage each day to understand how much my kids (2 x teens) and I use, in an effort to reduce and make efficiencies.

I have the electricity one worked out,quite easily - units x cost + daily charge = daily cost

The GAS one is baffling me - I have found online calculators but they only give me an annual charge and I was hoping to have a daily figure to work from.

I wonder if anyone here can provide me with the correct formula??

I thank you in advance

Spend 99p on an IOS App (if you have an iPhone or iPad); enter your tariff details and a few bits of other information; followed by some meter readings and it will do all the hard work for you. I have just entered my gas and electricity meter readings online and, sadly, my app shows a discrepancy of 6p. This is down to me using a standard volume to kWh for gas.

The cheaper option is a simple spreadsheet but it does not have all the fancy graphs that the App has unless you sit down and make it happen.

https://grahamhaley.co.uk/meters/
  • @working mum
    The gas formula is shown on your bill and differs on the type of meter you have (imperial or metric)

From my bill for a metric meter (the readings showed 44 units used between readings.)
    Your Gas Statement Explained
    You are charged per kWh used. So we can work out how much you have used we need
    to convert your meter units to kWh. To do this we use the formula below.
    How to convert from units to kWhs
    1. Units Used 44
    2. x Metric Conversion 1.00
    3. x Calorific Value 39.3000
    4. x Volume Correction 1.02264
    5. ÷ Convert to kWh 3.6
    6. = kWh 491
    Formula Key:
    Metric Conversion: We convert your meter units to metric. If you have an imperial meter this will be 2.83, and if you have a metric
    meter this will be 1.
    Calorific Value: The measurement of the energy content of gas which varies throughout the year.
    Volume Correction: Gas regulations require us to take into account the changes in your volume of gas based upon temperature
    and pressure. This is reflected by using the industry standard correction factor.
    Convert to kWh: This is the final part of the process where we divide the answer by 3.6 to give the number of kilo-watt hours.
    The calorific value changes over time and your bill always shows the value in use for the billing period in question.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For gas - if it says cubic meters or M3 on it - multiply the reading by 11.5 to get to Kwh and you will have a bit of change when the actual bill comes in.

If the meter is an older model and measures in cubic feet, then multiply reading by 33 instead.

Add on your daily charge when done.
  • earlsgate
    earlsgate Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2018 at 4:08PM
    don't forget to multiply the final calcs by 1.05 to get the price with 5%VAT included

best idea is to set up a simple spreadsheet as its just a case of changing/substituting a single number to get automatically get the final calculation

also very useful to compare energy deals before switching as some have a much higher standing charges with cheaper units and vice versa
  • Thank you guys, I really appreciate all of your replies and help.

The info is on an A4 pad currently so i will sort something a little bit more sensible this weekend - I feel better knowing I can work out a rough idea of my costs each day.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again!
  • i agree with Robin9, multiply by 11.1 to get to kwh s and then by your tariff..if it includes the vat that is close enough (add 5% if it does nt ) .
    No need to go through the convoluted formulae, conversion factor etc..Standing charges can be worked out by multiplying the daily charge by 365 then divided by 52 for a weekly rate if that is more convenient
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure