Trustpilot reviews can’t be trusted (XLN)

I initially did a post on the Phone & Broadband forum highlighting my awful experience with XLN however despite getting out of their services there is still one major concern.. and that is how they manipulate Trust Pilot reviews..
If you want to leave a review, you are asked to provide an account number for XLN. If this is negative review, then by leaving your account number, XLN trace you up and pester you to entice you back in or resolve the issue and ask you to change your feedback and if you don’t leave an account number, (as you don’t want to be contacted), they can’t verify your account and your review will be removed. I only joined this company because of their glowing Trustpilot reviews, but after appalling service, I’ve looked more into the company and it seems customers are turning to Google reviews to leave their honest feedback... so my point is don’t rely on Trustpilot reviews alone to determine how good a company is, I am assuming companies must pay for their services and does not operate independently, free of bias

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    maryju wrote: »
    Trustpilot reviews can’t be trusted

In other news - the pope is Catholic, the sky is blue and bears do indeed !!!! in the woods :D
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    In other news - the pope is Catholic, the sky is blue and bears do indeed !!!! in the woods :D

Quite!

That said however, I had occasion to leave a critical Trust Pilot review for a company who had a habit of getting and negative reviews removed by claiming it was not from a genuine customer.

Once I provided evidence to TrustPilot that I was a customer they reinstated the review. My details were not published or passed on to the company.

I had similar with Yell.com but this time the culprit was a local charity! Again I provided evidence to Yell and the review was reinstated. Sadly though the charity responded, as is apparently their right, by suppressing all reviews on Yell (both positive and negative). This one is far more serious and having identified several other people who were affected we are currently complaining to the Charity Commission.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When I see or hear a company claiming they've got good reviews on trustpilot, conversely it makes me trust them less.:D
  • maryju
    maryju Posts: 10 Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    When I see or hear a company claiming they've got good reviews on trustpilot, conversely it makes me trust them less.:D

This is no doubt the approach I will be adopting going forward
  • maryju
    maryju Posts: 10 Forumite
    Quite!

That said however, I had occasion to leave a critical Trust Pilot review for a company who had a habit of getting and negative reviews removed by claiming it was not from a genuine customer.

Once I provided evidence to TrustPilot that I was a customer they reinstated the review. My details were not published or passed on to the company.

I wasn’t aware that could be done in confidence, so thank you for sharing that. Good luck with the charity commission.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    maryju wrote: »
    I wasn’t aware that could be done in confidence, so thank you for sharing that. Good luck with the charity commission.

It must have been because when the review was reinstated the company responded on TP by saying something like "we are proud of our customer service but if you won't give us the details it is your fault"!

In fact I had banged my (virtual!) head against a wall with their so called customer service before resorting to online reviews!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Trust pilot and Rated builders make their money from the people listed so will always do all they can to remove bad reviews.
  • ValR123
    ValR123 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2019 at 4:20PM
    I totally agree with the comments on here that reviews on Trustpilot can't be trusted. I posted a review about onecom in which I referred to them as a ''cowboy outfit'' and stated that they had harassed us with phone calls threatening legal action to recover an alleged non existent debt of £30! I also observed that the fact that the reviews for this company on Trustpilot were inconsistently glowing compared with the awful reviews on every other site I had found - which indicated to me that Trustpilot reviews were not objective or reliable.
    Trustpilot e-mailed me to say that they had removed my review, but would re-publish it provided I removed reference to threatening phone calls, cowboy outfit and the criticisms of Trustpilot. Needless ot say I didn't co-operate, so my adverse review is now removed - and Trustpilot's mission on behalf of their sponsors is accomplished.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »

Best post of 2019.... so far! :)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Best post of 2019.... so far! :)
    Except it was made in 2018 ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income