supplemental heating for LPG system

Following my earlier post:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921503

I'm still exploring options. I'm coming to the following conclusions:

* conversion to oil would be costly (boiler, pipework, tank) so...
* keep the existing LPG system as the boiler is new and the pipework/rads seem fine.
* reduce reliance on LPG as much as possible though
* wood/coal stove impractical for health reasons - too much labour involved
* gshp is an option, but my reading suggests a) expensive to install b) can use a lot of electricity c) very long pay-back period
* solar pv panels seem attractive. There's an ideal south facing roof. Combine with electric shower for hot water. Can they produce enough power for a storage heater? Not sure.
* infrared heaters seem a) relatively cheap to install b) could exploit the solar pv (though not at night) and c) would reduce dependance on the LPG boiler

Does this seem sensible?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Solar PV panels are not a solution for heating or running an electric shower.

Depending where you live in UK, a good size 4kWp array(16 x 250 panels) might produce 4kW in optimum conditions - midday on a bright summer day - usually a much lower output see:

http://info.cat.org.uk/questions/pv/how-much-electricity-will-pv-roof-produce/

The smallest electric shower is 7.5kW

Similarly in winter, when you need heating, the output of the panels can be close to zero, and obviously nothing at night.

There are lots of threads on the merits/demerits of infra red heaters. However it is important to remember that they produce no more heat, for the same running cost, as any other electrical heater.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    G_M wrote: »
    Does this seem sensible?

I think that by reading this forum and getting the best deal on your LPG would probably be more MSE than any of the options you have suggested???

Take note of what I posted in #9 in your original thread! :D

Maybe a big storage heater in the middle of the house (as you are doing a big refurb) if you are going 'open plan' would help to keep the house 'aired' perhaps??
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    J_B wrote: »
    I think that by reading this forum and getting the best deal on your LPG would probably be more MSE than any of the options you have suggested???

Take note of what I posted in #9 in your original thread! :D

Yes there are cases of people being charged in excess of 60ppl, but the OP, as a dedicated MSEr, should have no problem securing a sub 40ppl price.

It would not make sense to replace the 2 year old boiler.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just had paperwork. Turns out the boiler was installed in 2010, not 2 years ago.

Maybe conversion to oil's the way to go after all.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 December 2018 at 11:16PM
    Just had paperwork. Turns out the boiler was installed in 2010, not 2 years ago.

I still don't understand your obsession with changing just because you hate LPG

It's a Worcester Bosch boiler which is reputed to be one of the more reliable makes.
    A new oil boiler would be £3K (?) and new tank/pipework maybe another 1K, so £4k to save yourself maybe a couple of hundred quid a year (?)

I hope you are doing your sums .... :)
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

Brave idea. The energy options are very much up in the air at the moment with many imature new technologies and unclear government directions. It is hard to know how things will shake out but there is a good chance that heating oil will be discouraged, possibly taxed.

I would be tempted to keep your boiler going as long as possible and postpone the choices in the hope they become clearer. Who knows in five years they may demand we rip everything out for a newly invented battery technology and electric heat pumps. We just can't know.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    As JB says, Worcester Bosch are a good boiler and even after 8 years there will still be some life left in it. If it is still reliable, then I'd stick with it.

With the current LPG and oil prices, LPG is still cheaper per kWh than oil.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the comments again. I'll admit I'm a bit obsessed!

Everything I've read on LPG including threads here, sounds really negative.
    And having oil at present - well, familiarity is comfortable!

But you're right that objectively the sums don't support my instincts.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure