PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    I love reading the gardening stories, it speaks of peace unity and order.. something UK plc is sorely lacking right now (shoehorn alert!) And I really like that you can enjoy a slice of that in an urban environment.... ok breaking news WA rejected in HoC, default departure date a fortnight today...

What's a shoehorn alert?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shoehorn alert is used a lot on political forums, often leave supporters objecting to someone mentioning Brexit in another context, ie retail stats or food banks. it's also used pre-emptively, in a 'sorry to mention this but' way.. sounds like I need to get out more :rotfl:
  • Pyxis
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    Shoehorn alert is used a lot on political forums, often leave supporters objecting to someone mentioning Brexit in another context, ie retail stats or food banks. it's also used pre-emptively, in a 'sorry to mention this but' way.. sounds like I need to get out more :rotfl:

No more than anyone else! :rotfl:

Though, still a bit puzzled as to why a 'shoehorn' specifically?
    Or is it shoehorning in a contentious subject under any pretext?

As a long term user of shoehorns, I must object, on behalf of all shoehorn-kind, to their name being taken in vain! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    No more than anyone else! :rotfl:

Though, still a bit puzzled as to why a 'shoehorn' specifically?
    Or is it shoehorning in a contentious subject under any pretext?

As a long term user of shoehorns, I must object, on behalf of all shoehorn-kind, to their name being taken in vain! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mmm. I imagine shoehorns (the object) have been around since early modern times, concurrent with the growth of cities, craft guilds, and increasing affluence. Metaphorically, it sounds like the kind of thing Shakespeare might've come up with, or it could've crept into political discourse in the late 18th/early 19thC - think of all those gouty politicians! I can practically see Blackadder's Johnson wincing as he works it into the dictionary :rotfl:

That's just my needs a distraction from bedlam on thames/can't be bothered to google guess though... shoehorn alert? 8-)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I learn so much here!
    Acartohygieiophobia
    - and yes I will be commissioning a T shirt with Acartohygieiophobic proudly (& carefully) spelled out. Gosh, the conversations I am going to get into...
    Shoehorn alert
    is another dilly - and yes, whilst being a staunch upholder of the many virtues of the shoehorn, what an intriguingly versatile bit of verbiage!

For anyone not aware of t'other thread (where we try to confine the shoehorn alert stuff) we also have
    Brexcellent
    Parliamentary Muppet
    and
    clusterbourach
    which I think anyone contemplating a game of Scrabble in the coming weeks might well want to consider. Chambers it ain't, but fun!

Although I'm about to nip South to celebrate a family member surviving this long despite repeated provocation (I blame the lack of alibis myself), where I plan to spend much of the afternoon playing Mah Jongg. A tile game for 4 players, often of considerable aesthetic charm (the tiles, that is) and as taught by our other grandmother, usually genteel. (As played in Chinatown with serious money on the outcome, rather less genteel but likely to still be beautiful.)

My grandmother held that a day that had not included time in the garden, time in prayer and time handwriting a letter, as a day wasted. I am hugely relieved she is spared all this current fuss but certain she would be vehemently gardening, praying & writing. (Largely to family - she only had so much time for her MP but then having been his housemistress when he was at school, she might have been biaised!)
    I do commend gardening where health permits. Even the indoors stuff leaves you less dependent on the just in time supermarkets & reminds you that there are other cycles available should you chose to tap into them.
    Onwards!
  • Pyxis
    Options
    i learn so much here!
    - and yes i will be commissioning a t shirt with acartohygieiophobic proudly (& carefully) spelled out. Gosh, the conversations i am going to get into...

Good word, isn't it? And, seriously, I do have this phobia! :D

is another dilly - and yes, whilst being a staunch upholder of the many virtues of the shoehorn, what an intriguingly versatile bit of verbiage!

For anyone not aware of t'other thread (where we try to confine the shoehorn alert stuff) we also have

In the spirit of all-inclusiveness, if you have Brexillent, don't forget that other new word, Brexshit!:D

and

which i think anyone contemplating a game of scrabble in the coming weeks might well want to consider. Chambers it ain't, but fun!

Although i'm about to nip south to celebrate a family member surviving this long despite repeated provocation (i blame the lack of alibis myself), where i plan to spend much of the afternoon playing mah jongg. A tile game for 4 players, often of considerable aesthetic charm (the tiles, that is) and as taught by our other grandmother, usually genteel. (as played in chinatown with serious money on the outcome, rather less genteel but likely to still be beautiful.)

my grandmother held that a day that had not included

time in the garden, time in prayer and time handwriting a letter,

as a day wasted.

So when I'm stressed, I should pull up a weed, learn a new word, and if all else fails, scream "Oh God!" :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If that plant is bindweed, you are indeed doing the Lord's work & probably on both knees. All you need do is scrawl a notelet to a loved one & you're in, according to Granny's rules. (Other religions are available.)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'm deeply irreligious as an early dunking in the font doesn't seem to have taken (you can't unsubscribe from the C of E although both myself and my Kid Bruv would like to try). I registered my displeasure as a 10 week old infant by screaming a lot. Oh happy day for the extended family, they were also dunking a demi cousin born the month before me. My fam are not in favour of too much fuss so even my baptism was a BOGOF.:rotfl:

Howsomever, I do find gardening very meditative and I swear horsetails have been sent to teach us gardeners patience and determination. Its roots go six feet down (bindweed's have been recorded 30 feet down) and thus these pernicious forms of vegetable life are sent to try us.

I dig both kinds of weeds up. I dry out their roots and then I commit them to a bonfire. Cackling is optional but I have been heard to murmur let's see you grow back after that, sucker! :cool:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    About the shoehorn thing, it's to do with fitting something into a space where it appears there isn't quite enough space for it. Hence people talk about "shoehorning" something in, e.g. into a seemingly full drawer or suitcase. In the same way that a shoe you can't fit your foot into turns out to be big enough after all if you use a shoehorn to help you put it on.

So, squeezing a mention of Brexit into a context where you wouldn't expect it = shoehorning it in.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Although I'm about to nip South to celebrate a family member surviving this long despite repeated provocation (I blame the lack of alibis myself), where I plan to spend much of the afternoon playing Mah Jongg. A tile game for 4 players, often of considerable aesthetic charm (the tiles, that is) and as taught by our other grandmother, usually genteel. (As played in Chinatown with serious money on the outcome, rather less genteel but likely to still be beautiful.)

Good Joss! I've just missed out on a fabulous bamboo & bone set at the auction... but to be fair we have 4 sets in the house already. Not quite one per offspring. All my family play, and have done since my grandfather was employed as a guard on the long-distance trains transporting Chinese workers across Canada in the 1920s. DS3 is busily teaching his Chinese students to play, and my Chinese step-sister-in-law was amazed to find that we play reasonable well, for non-Chinese. Am I the only person who insists on squeezing an ancient (sorry, vintage) cardboard Mah Jongg set into my luggage when travelling abroad for two weeks via Ryana1r?!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure