PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As a bonus, all this growing our own & being much more aware of what we're eating could leave us mentally healthier.

Although I reserve my very occasional McD as a bizarre personal treat, which may just prove the point!
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    The success of this network showed when my Mum had her epileptic fit and Dad called for an ambulance: the neighbour rang the doorbell when Dad was still on the phone, as she is part of an alert network to help out with possible cpr. She helped make Mum comfortable. When Mum came back from hospital, 7 neighbours checked in to see how she was doing and if they needed help. This is innercity, on a through road, with many houses sublet to students, so all rather anonymous and transitory.

All of this gives me peace of mind about living so far away.

My question is: with all the materialistic prepping that you are doing, how is your social network?
    Hi Been ill for months and recently diagnosed with a rare immune disorder. A great shock when you've always thought of yourself as fit! Anyhow Pineapple is still alive and very much kicking! I just wanted to say that I've learnt not to be such an island. It got to the point when I ended up in hospital. After discharge, I had to accept help - something I've never been very good at. Nor have I ever been much of a 'joiner in'. So it surprised me when the village rallied round. Things have changed in the Pineapple household and about time too. I applaud your parents.
    PS I've been out of the loop. Should I be prepping for a no deal Brexit? :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pineapple, good to hear from you again, and I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. Should you be prepping for a no deal Brexit? In a word, yes, preparations on this side of the Channel have been utterly shambolic - on t'other side, eg Rotterdam on the BBC this morning, very efficient - 700 extra parking spaces and 900 extra customs staff, because they know that the new paperwork, whatever it is, won't be correctly filled in by some people and they need more parking up space. Supply lines will be a bit choppy for all sorts of things for a while - so anything you *can* stock up on, please do.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No idea, pineapple, the situation seems to change every day. We're coming out of the EU sometime soon, and my guess is there will be a deal of sorts, once the Parliamentary Muppets get their act together. (The term Parliamentary Muppets by courtesy of Greyqueen. ) Just prep for whatever you would normally prep for, e.g. bad weather, illness, zombie apocalypse etc.

I hope you have access to all the information you need about your recently diagnosed condition, knowledge is power. I know of a few forum members with autoimmune conditions, and they make it their business to keep up to date with research. Some of them probably know as much, if not more than their own GPs.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A great shock when you've always thought of yourself as fit!

You & me both, pineapple! Sorry to hear about your autoimmune diagnosis; I hope it's something that can be kept well under control. As for prepping, I know mine has been very chaotic because of repeated unplanned admissions to hospital over the last three months, but I've been able to catch up a bit this week & I doubt we'll starve! There will be "holes" but we'll cope. I'd say, just do what you can, if you can, but don't exhaust yourself trying to cover all the bases.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Hi Been ill for months and recently diagnosed with a rare immune disorder. A great shock when you've always thought of yourself as fit! Anyhow Pineapple is still alive and very much kicking! I just wanted to say that I've learnt not to be such an island. It got to the point when I ended up in hospital. After discharge, I had to accept help - something I've never been very good at. Nor have I ever been much of a 'joiner in'. So it surprised me when the village rallied round. Things have changed in the Pineapple household and about time too. I applaud your parents.
    PS I've been out of the loop. Should I be prepping for a no deal Brexit? :eek:

This resonates with me. I have a condition that means I can be not ill as such all the time but unwell if that makes sense for days and in pain and has been the case for years. Rare condition and mine effects the skin mainly , one that that they are now saying is probably an auto-immune disorder ( if they even have that right). To be fair they still have no clue. As yet coming out of hospital I have been fortunate with friends and have needed very little help really. Reading your post though makes me see how much I am not a joiner in too, which can be isolating in the negative. Lovely to see though that you have good people around you in the end .

I decided years ago that I just have to wear it, I can’t change it, so make the best of it, as you say, still here and kicking.

On a prepping side.....make sure you have supplies for your health too.

Just checked stores a few days ago and rotated stuff. Jars of pasta sauce out of date 2 yrs.....opened one to use last night and it wasn’t right at all, really gloopy. Looked at all jars rotated the same date and all the same. Need to rotate stuff more often and organise better.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 March 2019 at 8:29AM
    Options
    I, too, have bouts of illness, so when I am well I tend to restock the freezer, health stuff and essentials, especially those that are on special offer.
    I'm vegetarian, and get a lot of my stuff from a seasonal organic supplier, but I stock the freezer with my favourite ready meals for when I'm ill or overly tired, and staples like butter, cheese and bread.

I also use a lot of loo rolls, (don't ask!), so have been stocking up with those when they've been on special offer, and now have quite a lot.
    Just as well, because a 16-pack of my favourite ones has gone up by £2 in the last year! Astounding!
    I might be wrong, but I heard somewhere that we get a lot of our paper from Sweden, so that might be affected by the Brexit thing, so a year ago I started to stockpile them. Glad I did, in view of the price hike.

I also stock up on boxes of tissues, as I get lots of colds and chest infections.

I'm used to eating strange combinations of foods, depending on what I've got in, :D, so it won't bother me to have to make do if some things are unavailable! :)

When in doubt, chuck it all into a stir fry, add some pasta sauce, and serve it with rice or pasta! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *Raises hand* Me too on having an autoimmune illness (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). Commiserations to those of you affected by any type of ongoing condition. It's partly why I'm stocking up for Brexit because I have special dietary requirements (gluten free) and as I've no idea whether any of the items I normally buy will be affected by any shortages, so I thought it best to be fully prepared 'just in case'. I've enough meds for about 4 months, so hope that will get me over any potential hiccups in supply. It's led me to do a lot of decluttering and has been quite therapeutic! I'm afraid 'assurances' from the Govt that all will be well don't reassure me, seeing how many other organisational disasters there have been!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zen

I have Hashimotos too and am on blood thinning meds as I have had blood clots in my lungs on two separate occasions in the last few years. My gp practice lets me order online so for the past few months I have been ordering more than a week in advance so that I now have four month's stock.

I always liked to have a decent store cupboard in case of bad weather , illness etc but over the last few months I have been building up supplies of toilet rolls, toiletries, laundry and dish washing stuff, bin bags, foil, flour, yeast, long life milk and tins of food with some pasta, rice and noodles, DDs privately think I am nuts but as long as I can keep things out of sight and fairly tidy they don't say anything.

I am going to have to brave sorting stuff out later as family is coming round for lunch tomorrow and I want to empty and recycle boxes etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    (((((Pineapple)))))) sorry to hear about your health troubles but it's good to 'see' you again on MSE.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills