Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

New forever home, new focus!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
32 replies 3.3K views
BetterthaneverBetterthanever Forumite
584 Posts
500 Posts Third Anniversary Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
Well, what a year it has been.....we sold my house to first time buyers eager to move in, so we moved into rented at the beginning of the summer. Our new house was scheduled to be finished in August so we put our stuff in storage, packed a suitcase of summer clothes and wished our purchasers all the best in their new adventure!

Great! Except we are almost in December and our house still isn't finished, and with the best will in the world, making your summer footwear suitable for Storm Diana doesn't get any easier! It has been a frustrating few months, for sure, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.....the carpets have been fitted and we are just waiting for the sign off from the inspector so that we can arrange a completion date.....which will hopefully mean we pick up the keys in the next couple of weeks. :j

This means, of course, I've been throwing money away on rent for 6 months.....not something I had planned to do. But the new house comes with new excitement....rather than being just mine, it is "ours". Everything chosen together, savings pooled, joint mortgage, and we will have a joint account. This is a big deal to me.....we have always kept things separate, (throwback to previous disasters as some of you will know!) But the time is right to do this, and I'm looking forward to the focus as we start this new chapter of our lives, in our forever home, together. Whether my gorgeous husband realises the implications of this renewed focus....Well, time will tell :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Signature to be updated in due course!

Replies

• Oh how frustrating. We were the opposite way round when we bought our new build 3 years ago. We part exchanged and got a phone call to say we would be exchanging and completing in a weeks time. About 8 weeks earlier than we thought.
    3 years later I’m moving again. Completing next Thursday and determined to lose the mortgage. We should be starting around the same time. Good luck with your mortgage free journey.
    Make £10 a day in May- £90/£150
  • BetterthaneverBetterthanever Forumite
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    Good luck with your next move! Exciting times ahead, i trust!

So, I've given notice today on the rental....we now HAVE to be in the new home soon!! Frustrating that it is so close....but still in someone else's hands!

Projected budgets are done.....we just need to get to the bank to sort out joint accounts, and for us to decide on our overpay/offset plans so that we can start as we mean to go on. The move has taken almost all our savings and doubled our borrowing, so it is a big deal and we need to attack on all fronts if we are going to repay early and still have a life! We've got a fix for 5 years with the total term being 10, so we really have plenty of reason to focus. BRING IT ON!!
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    So....notice has been served today by the builder and we hope to complete on 10th December, so we are almost there. We can't get our stuff out of storage until later that week so it will be a phased move out of our rental property....not the end of the world, I guess.

At least we will be settled for Christmas and can kick back a bit.
  • MoneyfordreamsMoneyfordreams Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the move.. we moved this year into an older property... which has needed repair after repair.. We stayed in a pub hotel prior to the move... 10 weeks was enough for us.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    Re mortgage August 19 £110470, HSBC 0, Hfx £5800, MBNA £6000
    … Mortgage £96500
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you! I hope you have settled in nicely. We have been in rental for 5 months so far....We hate it and just can't wait to move! We will appreciate our own space and things SO much!!
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    Happy Saturday! New month, new challenges to be embraced! December sees the month we finally move into our forever home so I am very excited.

But that brings with it a long list of people to tell, services to change etc.....I've made a start and cancelled sky, changed the tv licence and paid the final storage bill. New address cards will be bought today for those few people that need to be told in writing rather than text or email...these will be incorporated into Christmas card sending this year.

It is a year since we paid our reservation deposit for the new house.....it has been a year of change with new jobs for all of us and DD has bought her own place recently, so to get into our new home will just be amazing. I can't wait....but in the meantime the list writing and ticking off continues!
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    Today's mission is to go and look for curtain poles and fabric for blinds....We can't actually get into the house to get measurements of the windows, which is a tad frustrating, but at least we can choose the designs so we can act quickly when we are able.

Signature updated to show the new mortgage...it is fixed for 5 years (porting our previous fix) and topping it up with another 5 year fix for the extra needed. Ported at 2.09% with the top up at 1.99%. Total term based on just 10 years so that is our worst case scenario, but hoping to get it gone long before then with a combination of overpayments and offsetting some investment. Mot that we have any at the moment as we cashed everything in to buy this place, but I do have various work-based share save and incentive schemes that will start rolling off in a couple of years, and hopefully can save a bit on a regular basis too....time will tell......

......because I want to add an orangery.....!!
  • julicornjulicorn Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your move! Sounds like you had to wait quite a while, but at least you're moving in before Christmas :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Current: £113,200 (-£21,000 overpayment savings pot)
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you....we've had to push really hard to get in before Christmas. The last few weeks have been quite stressful one way or another. There are 9 houses on our part of the development and all new owners have been pushing so the builders have been up against a small army of us!!!
    584 Posts
    ✭✭
    So, of course the fabric and the curtain poles will cost more than we had hoped, but we're going to do the job properly, get the house as we want it, deplete our meagre savings to do so, then work at paying off the mortgage whilst loving our new surroundings. We will get them costed up properly later in the week as we get to measure the windows tomorrow when we have our final check on the works before completion is agreed.

Today's mission is to open a joint account and order a budget book that is complicated enough to cope with my plans. If I were good at excel I would make a fancy spreadsheet but despite my job, it's something I am rubbish at, so I shall stick with the pen and paper version!

Wimped out on getting up to exercise this morning. I swear that the stress of not having moved is creating a lardy lump.of lethargy. I have a marathon to run in April.....I must quit with the excuses.

Happy New week everyone.
This discussion has been closed.