Terrariums! Any love for them?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
3 replies 1.5K views
CommunitysharesCommunityshares Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I have been trying to make my own terrarium.
Anyone got any tips on plant choice and the best kind of jars for them?

Would love to give my friends a terrarium for christmas! Save some money on presents haha
If life is a game, then every hour represents a chip. We get 24 chips a day; they have to be spent and is perishable Where do you invest these chips? How much is spent investing in yourself? ;)

Replies

• RichyRichRichyRich Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    `We made a load of Christmas terraria! Absolute nightmare to find cork topped jars of an appropriate size. We ended up in IKEA. But you can get "proper" terrarium jars in TK Maxx, and Mason style jars (where you can crack it open a little bit for ventilation) from from Home Bargains. You can get activated charcoal in the pet shop (it's in the bird section - apparently you give it to parrots to aid digestion - who knew?) and of course you can get aquarium gravel there too.You can also get stones and sand in IKEA. By the time we bought all the gear, it'd have been cheaper to buy presents...
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I bought a ready done one from Peony and love it.

It is primarily greenery with an orchid in it and for xmas I have dressed it with rice lights.
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    RichyRich wrote: »
    You can get activated charcoal in the pet shop (it's in the bird section - apparently you give it to parrots to aid digestion - who knew?)

Not me and I've kept parrots for 25 odd years! How strange. I used to put activated carbon in aquarium filters.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals