We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Purchased car from private seller. Seeking damages

1246

Comments

  • "Are you intending to take it all the way to court?"

    If tomorrow's diagnosis confirms Mini's Health Check and the repair cost is above say £200 then yes, I'll register a small court claim and pursue damages.

    I don't wish to do so but being misled in this way just isn't cricket.
  • In addition I should mention that the seller informed me that he purchased the car 1 month ago for his wife and that the reason for sale was because she didn't like the low riding position.

    He also told me that his friend (apparently a Mini mechanic) did a cash-in-hand service on the vehicle 2 weeks ago.

    Now the Health Check not only indicated oil leaks but also that the engine was missing 2 litres of oil.

    My suspicion is that he purchased the car, realised it was a dud and tried to pass it on.
  • I also discovered that he placed a circular piece of black tape over the airbag fault warning light, again revealed by the Health Check. Not sure if this constitutes a fit-for-purpose violation or not.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Gmrides wrote: »
    I also discovered that he placed a circular piece of black tape over the airbag fault warning light, again revealed by the Health Check. Not sure if this constitutes a fit-for-purpose violation or not.

    Airbag failure warning light is an MOT failure so...
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Gmrides wrote: »
    "Are you intending to take it all the way to court?"

    If tomorrow's diagnosis confirms Mini's Health Check and the repair cost is above say £200 then yes, I'll register a small court claim and pursue damages.

    I don't wish to do so but being misled in this way just isn't cricket.
    Gmrides wrote: »
    In addition I should mention that the seller informed me that he purchased the car 1 month ago for his wife and that the reason for sale was because she didn't like the low riding position.

    He also told me that his friend (apparently a Mini mechanic) did a cash-in-hand service on the vehicle 2 weeks ago.

    Now the Health Check not only indicated oil leaks but also that the engine was missing 2 litres of oil.

    My suspicion is that he purchased the car, realised it was a dud and tried to pass it on.
    Gmrides wrote: »
    I also discovered that he placed a circular piece of black tape over the airbag fault warning light, again revealed by the Health Check. Not sure if this constitutes a fit-for-purpose violation or not.

    So given your expectations of a 13yo car did you actually do any inspections - i.e.check the oil level/quality/switch ignition on and check warning lights, check log book details etc or are you just looking for blame after the event for your lack of due diligence ?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Gmrides wrote: »
    Now the Health Check not only indicated oil leaks but also that the engine was missing 2 litres of oil.



    Mini coopers of that era burn oil in huge amounts, 1000 miles per litre would be considered good. I personally know of two that were run dry of oil between services, so it is easily possible to use 2 litres in a fortnight.....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    OP paid £750 for the car, does anyone know if it's a fair price for a 2003 Mini Cooper
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    DoaM wrote: »
    So in other words, your post #23 was pointless? ;)
    How does that figure? It was an expression of surprise at giving help. It was the post I made in the deleted thread about a motorbike that got the infraction. Not offensive, to the point and factual. You lot would struggle on some of the proper forums I went on, and there certainly wouldn't be a DM problem..
  • I paid £1400 for it. 107k on the clock.

    Yes, I took it for a test drive, checked everything was working. But didn't check the oil level or go beneath it (low clearance would have made that difficult).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.