Monument pbp

Options

Comments

• Liz484
    Liz484 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays must have some records from more than 12 years ago. They know the card number and they know my partner had this credit card.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Liz484 wrote: »
    Barclays must have some records from more than 12 years ago. They know the card number and they know my partner had this credit card.

They may have an old reference in a database somewhere that says you have the card, doesn't mean they have list of what payments you made.
  • Liz484
    Options
    I do agree with what you're saying. They are asking him if he wants to complain about the payment break plan he had on the credit card but we can't remember anything about the card and have no paperwork about it. If he was mis-sold it then we can't complain.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    I do agree with what you're saying. They are asking him if he wants to complain about the payment break plan he had on the credit card but we can't remember anything about the card and have no paperwork about it. If he was mis-sold it then we can't complain.

Of course you can complain, you may get lucky on an auto-pay decision, equally the bank may reject this complaint or no-one has any records so it goes nowhere. All you can do is submit your complaint and see what happens
  • Liz484
    Options
    We just don't understand why they have sent the letter because it was so long ago and I thought you only had so many years to complain.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    We just don't understand why they have sent the letter because it was so long ago and I thought you only had so many years to complain.

The finance rules are

6 years from taking out the product
    3 years from when you could reasonably have been aware of the need to complain

If they have never told you about the product in order to time bar it, they have to allow you to complain if you wish, hence sending this letter which will allow them to time bar it in the future
  • dec9
    Options
    But at the time you didn't know it was being mis-sold.
    It's only now with the PPI scandal that many people realise that "Yes I was mis-sold this product but at the time I didn't realise until now"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dec9 wrote: »
    It's only now with the PPI scandal that many people realise that "Yes I was mis-sold this product but at the time I didn't realise until now"
    You still (apparently) don't know whether the payment break plan was mis-sold to you!
    Did you have cause to use it? Was it of use to you? Was it suitable for your particular circumstance?

They are inviting a complaint now simply so that you can't complain at some distant point in the future.

Receiving one of these letters does not mean that you were definitely mis-sold.

If you have reason to complain about the plan then do so. If not, then put the letter in the bin and forget about it.
  • Placida
    Placida Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2018 at 4:25PM
    Options
    My partner received a letter this morning from barclaycard saying we are writing to you about potential issues that we have identified with some payment break plans as an additional feature of your monument credit card. Our records show that you enrolled in payment break, we want to invite you to complain if you think you could be affected.
    We remember he did have a credit card but it would of been more than 10 years ago. We can't remember any other details about how he was sold the payment break plan.
    Is it worth filling in the and just saying that we don't remember anything about this credit card. I have googled this and alot of people seem to have just had a cheque out of the blue with no other correspondence from barclaycard.

BPB wasn’t PPI. It was a debt waiver plan that allowed you to freeze your credit card account for up to 24 or 30 months.
    It was sold by phone, either when:
    You completed your credit card application
    You called to activate your card
    During a call while you had the card
    Have you been on Barclays website to see if you may have been affected? It might answer the questions you have?
    See https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/payment-break-plan/what-was-payment-break-plan/ for the following links
    What was payment break plan (PBP)?
    How do I know if I had PBP? They list possible reasons you may have been mis- sold
    This list isn’t exhaustive – if you feel you have another reason to complain, or if you’re not sure, please contact us.
    How do I make a PBP complaint? (It has guidance notes on how to fill in the questionnaire)
    “The following information will help us resolve your complaint, so please provide as much as you can. But don’t worry if you don’t have any or all of it – we can still investigate your complaint.”
    Persevere with phoning them and ask the date your partner enrolled in payment break. It might just jog his memory as to his circumstances at the time they say he took the plan. Then follow the advice on Barclays website. ( 0800 161 5313)
  • Amanda79
    Options
    Hello
    I have just received a letter about PBP; was there any outcome for those of you that previously posted? I recall having a credit card but not anything about PBP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure