Oversized baggage refund?

Options
Hi, On a recent AA flight I was charged $150 to travel internally in the US with my bike (free on the international legs!) which, although extortionate and in my opinion unfair, I duly paid. It was not overweight and I get a 2nd checked bag free as a Oneworld Saphire member. I was charged simply because it was bigger than 62 linear inches (as all bike boxes are....)

On arrival, I was told that my bike had not been loaded and would be on a later flight. It did arrive on a later flight and I had to wait around to collect it.

I was told by the baggage assistance person that it was probably not loaded because it was oversized! I have had oversized items not loaded before on two other occasions - it is always the oversized item and not the regular suitcase. This is the first time it has happened when I have paid an oversized charge.

I then emailed AA to ask for a refund. My point is, I paid for their inconvenience for the box being big and therefore they should make sure it is loaded. It seems unfair to charge for this and then penalise me for the very thing I paid for.

Has anyone had experience in this type of refund claim and does anyone agree or have any advice?

Thanks, Simon

Comments

• I left out the fact that they replied saying it is not their policy to refund oversized baggage fees.....
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you pay them by card?
  • Yes - Mastercard
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Yes - Mastercard

OK: contact your card provider and ask for a chargeback on the grounds that the service for which you paid was not fit for the purpose for which it was intended.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    OK: contact your card provider and ask for a chargeback on the grounds that the service for which you paid was not fit for the purpose for which it was intended.

The service was provided all be it a bit late.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's no claim here, the bike was delivered so the OP got what they paid for.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    There's no claim here, the bike was delivered so the OP got what they paid for.

One could argue that providing the service late makes it unfit for purpose.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Simon, you want to claim a refund and AA have refused, the best way now is as V2000 suggests. It's debatable how valid your claim is but good luck and please let us know the outcome. Welcome to the forum.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One could argue that providing the service late makes it unfit for purpose.

People can argue all kinds of things. What matters is ultimately what the airline's T&C (which the OP agreed to) says. All I can say is that I've never come across one that offers a refund of baggage charges if bags are delayed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure