Options
2»

Comments

• Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 November 2018 at 11:57PM
    Options
    My first ever proper account (as opposed to 'junior-saver' type accounts) was with the Halifax.

The oldest paper statement I can find shows a transaction dated 28th May 1989, so the account is at least 29 years old, but I know I held the account before that so it's probably a few years older.

It started life as a "Quest" account, later becoming a "Cardcash" account, then I think it became a "Maxim" account (those two may be the other way round) then it was renamed as a "Halifax Current Account" which paid 4% interest for a short time, and then relatively recently I regraded it to a "Reward Current Account" to get the £5 per month, which later dropped to £3, and is now £2.

It's the account I've had my salary paid into throughout my working life.

It's no longer my "main" account, but my salary still goes into it, from whence it is fanned out to other places via standing orders.

I would love to know the exact date I originally opened the account, but sadly the documentation got lost, probably in a house move :-(
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I closed the last of my Barclays accounts a few weeks ago, although I clsoed the current account a year or so ago. I was first set up with them 25 years ago.

Long story short, I just had a series of incredibly poor customer service experiences in branches. The worst experience almost screwed up my house purchase after I was told completely false information about how to make a transfer. Coupled with their abysmal app that kicked me out twice (you have to go to an ATM to get back in! Ridiculous!), I decided enough is enough, moved to Monzo and Starling.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barclays for 50 years. Not my 'main' account nowadays but I still put some transactions through it.Can still recite the details from my head
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I went monthly salary paid in 1974, Nat west..still used today for our housekeeping money, and it's still the only account I can quote a/c number and sort code from memory
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My oldest is 33 years, but in that time it has metamorphosed from Girobank to Alliance and Leicester, to Santander, and is at the moment a 1-2-3 account. It still has the same base account number, and is the only one I have ever committed to memory, from back in the day when I'd be regularly writing it on Giro slips.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My oldest account is my Barclays Basic Current Account which I opened in 2001. I stopped using it when I got a job with Abbey National and requested it was closed in 2002- but then I got a letter out of the blue 9 years ago telling me that there had been an error and it was never closed- it had remained open and dormant all that time. It gave me an option of requesting final closure or keeping it and requesting a new card which I did and I began having my wages paid into it.
    My wages are still paid into it- and I still use it on a fairly regular basis but my main account is my Student Additions Account. I can quite truthfully say I’ve been with my bank for 17 years which I know helps when applying for credit.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    33 years with Nationwide. This replaced the approx 20-year-old account I had with Midland which I had to close because I'd moved to Scotland and almost everything needed a branch then - used Clydesdale for a year or 2 but then they and Midland parted company. If not for that would probably still be with HSBC now.

Also still have HSBC credit card from about 44 years ago - started off as Midland Access and been through as many incarnations as Dr Who.
  • originator
    Options
    37 years with Santander(Girobank,Alliance and Leicester as was),still used as my main account.
    mortgage free 3/10/12:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport