PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problems with shared track

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    In the OP's case, being a public right of way throws up additional complications in terms of liability to the public. (also does the owner have public liability insurance I wonder?)
    Unless I've missed it, OP does not say it's a public ROW.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Unless I've missed it, OP does not say it's a public ROW.
    End of the first paragraph.

(You got me worried there :D)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OOps! :beer:
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    OOps! :beer:
    It's ok, I blamed those pictures you've been looking at. Does terrible things to your eyesight. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your local Highways Authority (which is probably your local council) will probably have a Rights of Way Officer. They may be able to advise you on whether it is a right of way maintainable at public expense, or if not, who owns it (they sometimes keep ownership records) and what you can do to get it repaired.

I would recommend against a DIY repair job at this stage, as you could open yourself up to liability from the landowner and other users if your repair causes damage to the land or anyone using it.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    da_rule wrote: »
    Your local Highways Authority (which is probably your local council) will probably have a Rights of Way Officer. They may be able to advise you on whether it is a right of way maintainable at public expense, or if not, who owns it (they sometimes keep ownership records) and what you can do to get it repaired.

Might be quicker to look up the website for Nimbus Maps. That website was recommended on here recently and various Forum-ites have been checking it out since (having joined the free level - out of the two levels it does). It's very quick and easy to join and find way round and check out info. for your area/any other area in the country - it collates info. from 25 different sources (including the Land Registry) and should give you a bit of a start on seeing things like the boundaries for properties/whether they are Registered or not/etc.

If you then decide you want to know who any "private owner" is that comes up for a property - you could buy the info. there and then from the website online (via the Land Registry).

One can find out some quite interesting info. sometimes on neighbouring properties - and that includes unadopted roads:cool: The owner may (or may not) be who you think it is...
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mot type 1 would probably be the material to use to fill in.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mot type 1 would probably be the material to use to fill in.
    Yes, certainly not hardcore, as someone recommended, which gets bounced-out to form a hazard.

Only last week I had to change a wheel for a lady, whose car had suffered a puncture due to a lump of hardcore being fired into her path by another car.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Yes, certainly not hardcore, as someone recommended, which gets bounced-out to form a hazard.

Only last week I had to change a wheel for a lady, whose car had suffered a puncture due to a lump of hardcore being fired into her path by another car.

In my defence i meant to be used as a base layer underneath gravel rather than just dumping gravel on mud. But in any case, it comes down to, can you get those using it to agree to share the cost.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One of the out of the way places we lived deliberately left the road with some potholes, stopped any boy racers using the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure