Vodafone calling "abroad"

Options
2»

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    you have to be roaming outside UK

Why don't you use 'WhatsApp 'free OR 'Ringo international calling' App which is very cheap to call abroad

Germany is only .75 of a penny

Spanish landlines are currently free to call on Ringo (and there is no cost to sign up), the calls are routed through an ordinary UK landline number and come out of your UK minutes. It’s not voice over IP, so the call quality doesn’t depend on a good data connection.

Great for calling friends in Spain :)
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    The key word is ROAMING.
    I don't see any key.
    If you are roaming then all EU calls are the same price as your country's internal rates.

The roaming directive only covers call charges when roaming, hence the name.
    Yes, it does cover roaming.
    No, this dasn't add any sense/logic to the fact that that roaming calls to Germany from France have to be cheaper than non-roaming calls from UK to France.

I have already stood corrected. I admitted the fact. My point was that this fact had no logic behind it except that it originated from EU jobsworths unfamiliar with any logic.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is logical. The EU did not want to meddle in the domestic rates set in each country.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "Don't want to" isn't logical, especially if the result is that calls from France to Germany for a UK resident can become much cheaper than from UK.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why does it need to be logical? Those are the rules, live with them.

Not all, by a long way, rules and regulations are "logical". The same way that life, for the most part, isn't "logical".

The EU only dealt with cross border charges. The left it to the member nations to deal with internal costing for cross border calls. .

As an example, my daughter who lives in Spain has 2 hours of cross border phonecall as a standard part of her land line contract so can phone us when she wants. In fact, in Spain, most mobile phone contracts include phoning up to 45 other countries including EU at domestic rates as standard.

So the problem of differing costs from the UK appears to be down to the greed of the UK providers.

Maybe this is why the EU didn't touch the domestic market as each country has its own charging system for international calls from the country of residence.
  • its_all_over
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    "Don't want to" isn't logical, especially if the result is that calls from France to Germany for a UK resident can become much cheaper than from UK.

As far as I’m aware, the EU doesn’t have the power to set domestic rates as those rates are for the national government to decide on. So rather than “don’t want to” it’s more a case of “has no power to, so can’t”.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure