We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Yet another new guy enters the frame.

12357…16

Comments

  • Hey
    Some debts have to be lived with - a lot cheaper than replacing or paying someone else I think. Also (while not wanting to encourage you into bad ways) a little bit of what you fancy!:shhh:
  • oh dont worry. I bet its a fraction of what you used to spend. Essential items too
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    oh dont worry. I bet its a fraction of what you used to spend. Essential items too

    Totally. I would have added a CD or game to that list, and drinks for myself at the pub before I had my LBM!
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
  • There you go then!! Be proud of your achievement
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    OK, today was another spending day.

    £15.06 at Tesco for food. £10 on topup's.

    It's kind of bugging me that I could actually have spent about a fiver less on food if I didn't get side tracked with (semi) luxury items that I like, but weren't entirely needed!! But I suppose, if I know, I won't next time.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    HBFS - to avoid those impulse buys I write a list and stick to it. That way if we haven't budgeted and planned for a luxury item we just dont buy it (of course all that goes out the window when Wayne comes shopping with me and the bill almost doubles)!

    Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

    March GC £113.53 / £325
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    cat4772 wrote: »
    HBFS - to avoid those impulse buys I write a list and stick to it. That way if we haven't budgeted and planned for a luxury item we just dont buy it (of course all that goes out the window when Wayne comes shopping with me and the bill almost doubles)!

    Cat.x

    I think I may have to follow that from now on. My weakness for spicy foods gets the better of me! :o
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
  • Well done for your efforts, HBFS and keep going ! I agree with regards to the diary - back when I did some additional hours for my weekend job during the week it really was invaluable to keep track ( no need now as weekend still fixed shift and do different job during week ) I am a bit surprised that your work don't supply diaries - both my jobs do. Maybe suggest it to a suitably amenable manager ? if you still have the receipt for this one then maybe they'd be willing to let you claim it back from petty cash ?

    I also understand about getting the motivation and energy to sort meals out in advance if you work shifts. It's simultaneously very important ( if you are to eat well and keep your energy levels up ) and very difficult ! what I generally did and do is cater for a range of options - make food and freeze down extras so you have some home made " ready meals " available, freeze bread/cheese/hm soups etc for fast options for any time meals, have things I know I enjoy eating and can concoct meals from as the mood and opportunity takes me. You don't have to give up your enjoyment o spicy foods - come over the Money Saving Old Style board and you can get tips and help for making your own - don't worry if you're not very confident as a cook, practise makes perfect !
    " Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams.. "
    ~ November 8th 2008. Now totally DEBT FREE !~
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Well done for your efforts, HBFS and keep going ! I agree with regards to the diary - back when I did some additional hours for my weekend job during the week it really was invaluable to keep track ( no need now as weekend still fixed shift and do different job during week ) I am a bit surprised that your work don't supply diaries - both my jobs do. Maybe suggest it to a suitably amenable manager ? if you still have the receipt for this one then maybe they'd be willing to let you claim it back from petty cash ?

    I also understand about getting the motivation and energy to sort meals out in advance if you work shifts. It's simultaneously very important ( if you are to eat well and keep your energy levels up ) and very difficult ! what I generally did and do is cater for a range of options - make food and freeze down extras so you have some home made " ready meals " available, freeze bread/cheese/hm soups etc for fast options for any time meals, have things I know I enjoy eating and can concoct meals from as the mood and opportunity takes me. You don't have to give up your enjoyment o spicy foods - come over the Money Saving Old Style board and you can get tips and help for making your own - don't worry if you're not very confident as a cook, practise makes perfect !

    Thanks for the support and the tips! I'm on my way there now!! :D
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Today was again a spend that I didn't really need.

    £5.14 on dinner in the work canteen. I just get roped into going because my team have such a laugh at work. I was perfectly happy to not have anything, but somehow I always end up eating!! Grrrr!
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.