PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning

Champagne moment......sat in bed, looking out at the morning mist, drinking my coffee. It's going to be another glorious warm day so going to get out there and enjoy.

Had a lovely afternoon tea with my DIL yesterday at the swanky hotel I mentioned. I did notice that the tea was a little less luxurious than last time......I'm guessing cutting back rather than increasing prices to maintain profit margins. Cant say as I blame them - it's cut throat in the world of business, especially in these uncertain times.

Then back to my sons house later for rugby, pizza and games night, with some of their friends. A lovely day all round.

Sounds like you are all having some nice champagne moments too.

Siebre. Love hearing about your life over there....my mother was Belgian and my cousin lived in Holland for many years, although he is back in Belguim now that he has retired. I am aiming to pop over at some point, either this year or early next.

Not sure what this week will bring but as the weather is set fair forthe next few days I am looking forward to getting out and about.

Have a great week, y'all.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    laughing to myself at the swanky word! just been out with Hubby to Morecambe, him on his scooter so long walk then late breakfast/early lunch in wetherspoons. 17c on drive home, feels like summer!
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moments today were going to lunch at a local Chicago Rib Shack with a Groupon I bought in November 2018. I enjoyed a starter of spicy chicken wings and a main of a half rack of barbecue baby ribs, coleslaw and fries. I was only able to eat 1 rib and the fries of my main meal. I left the coleslaw because it had finely diced raw onion in it which does not agree with my digestive system. I finished off my meal with a large bottle of sparkling water. :D

I went to my local Odeon using my limitless card to watch the film On The Basis Of Sex. This is the powerful and timely true story of US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg who led the fight against gender discrimination and blazed an unprecedented trail for equality. :D

From being one of only a few women accepted at Harvard Law to co-founding the Womens Rights Project at the ACLU, Bader Ginsburg overcame all odds to become one of the most influential figures in the battle for equal rights, passionately arguing ground-breaking landmark cases and giving a voice to those unable to be heard. :D

I found this film really inspiring and it was wonderful to watch another film about a really strong woman character who overshadowed all of the other characters in the film, yet she is a very feminine and stylish woman, wife and Mother as well. I would give this film 8/10 :D

It was so sunny and warm in London until the evening that I had to wear my Calvin Klein Pink sunglasses today. In February!!!! :j
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just had a bath with my new aromatherapy bath oils. They were a pre-birthday present to myself.;) My skin feels very soft.

I'm just going to sit in the garden and enjoy the sunshine.

It was so sunny and warm in London until the evening that I had to wear my Calvin Klein Pink sunglasses today. In February!!!! :j

I wear my sunglasses even in winter.:D I went out wearing my long black dress (no tights or leggings) with a light t-shirt yesterday evening. Unbelievable at this time of year.:)
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moments today were having the rest of my rack of ribs from my restaurant meal yesterday for my dinner today. That makes yesterday's meal even better value for money. :D

I did some decluttering today of items that I had tried to sell on eBay that even after numerous relisting had not sold and I also pruned my son's clothes rail of items he has not worn for a long time. I took the two strong carrier bags of clothing to my local Scope charity shop. :D

Best of all though is that I received payment today from Hatton Garden Metals after sending my 2 9ct gold items to them yesterday by Special Delivery. I had payment in my bank account before 3pm today. I sold them a 9ct gold 8 inch bracelet that I had not worn for a long time as it had become too big for my wrists and a 9ct gold 20 inch chain with a very difficult clasp which I hardly ever wore. :D :j

The sun was shining in London and yet again I got to wear a t-shirt and my Calvin Klein sunglasses when I went to the charity shop with my donation. :D
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Hello everyone.........have been feeling a little "blue" this week (another red letter day coming up on Saturday) so just trying to stay positive and focussing on the good stuff. Trying not to think too much about my husband.....trying not to wallow in self pity. :rotfl:

So......to that end, I'm keeping busy, building in lots of nice little champagne moments and free or low cost treats. I am seeing friends and family and making sure I have something planned for each day. I have also blitzed the house, mowed the lawn, tidied the garden, done a tip run:rotfl:

I'm really Loving the sun, I have done loads of washing, it's been lovely to dry stuff outside and fling the windows open.

Later today my son and his girl are coming, they are going to help me plant some trees and then I'll cook them a feast.

SUgarbaby.....I've more or less given up with eBay now. I have decided I will try and sell my really good clothes to a nearly new shop (they take around 30 per cent which is fine) and then the more "average" clothes I will just donate to charity shops.

I also have a few pieces of good quality Bric a brac/antiques so I thought I might try putting them up for auction. Like you I also have some gold as well as coins and stamps etc so I might try the local jewellers and coin and stamp dealers.

The proceeds won't make me rich but it will help me with my decluttering efforts and it would be nice to raise a bit of extra cash. :D
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    LL please do not sell any solid gold on the High Street to a local jewellers as you will be doing so at a loss. It is very easy to sell 9ct, 14ct, 18ct, and 22ct gold online to Hatton Garden Metals and they will always offer you the best prices with a professional, expert service. I have been using them since 2013 when I first saw them being recommended in the MSE newsletter.

The same advice goes for any other ladies who are thinking of selling solid gold or solid silver items.

I sold 22 grams of 9ct gold to Hatton Garden Metals and I received £250.80 by Faster Payment to my bank account on the day they took receipt of my package of gold. :T:D

A word to the wise if you do sell to Hatton Garden Metals do not opt to have your payment paid into your Paypal account as you will be charged a fee by Paypal which could be as much as 10% of the monies paid to you!

For Antiques you could get Sotheby's or Christie's to give you a valuation before you part with them locally to ensure you are being offered a fair price. I can remember one of my sister's doing this more than 30 years ago when she had some Antiques she wanted to sell, but she did not have the first idea of the value of her Antiques.

I am not done with eBay selling yet, as I have a ton of other items I intend to list. It can be a frustrating experience, but I have made over £200 so far after fees from selling items on eBay. :D
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Wow. Thanks SUgarbaby. Lots of helpful advice there. Thank you.

Had a lovely afternoon with my son and his girlfriend. They helped me plant some trees and then my son sorted out some of my tech stuff, then we all sat down to a feast and a nice chat.

Off out to meet a friend this morning. Not seen her for a while so looking forward to a catch up.

Looks like the mini heatwave is over. :rotfl:
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Morning all!

I have been doing a bit of almost-Spring-cleaning...sorting out this and that.

One of the last 'department stores' in our little town is closing down...sad to see the High Street lose another of the old names...on the other hand this meant 'closing-down sale'!!!....I got some new pillows for the bed...and a rather lovely Willow Tree ornament.

My old pillows will be turned into back-support cushions for my armchair.

And an extra bonus...M&S have sent me a voucher...20% of home furnishings and clothing this weekend...I will see what bargains I can find!
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moments yesterday were going to watch the film Colette at Streatham Odeon with my Limitless card. I was extremely glad to get the opportunity to see this film at last. I would give this film 8.5/10

In the evening my daughter and I went to Leilani to have a steak and chips meal with a cocktail. I had bought a Groupon for this meal last November which made the meal cost less than half of the menu prices. The restaurant was busy but we still got good service and well cooked food.

Yesterday was the last day this week that I was able to wear a t-shirt and my Calvin Klein sunglasses.

My Champagne moments today were going to watch the films Fighting With My Family and Cold Pursuit. Both films were not quite what I was expecting, but they both exceeded my expectations.

Fighting With My Family is based on a true story of a Family of Mother, Father, Son and Daughter who all wrestle in Norwich and what happens when both the son and daughter are given the opportunity to audition for the chance to be a participant in WWE in America. The film depicted the journey of the son and the daughter as they both try to pursue their wrestling dream. I did not think I would find this film engrossing as I have no interest in wrestling, but I loved the family interactions, their honesty, their support of each other and their Love for each other. I would give this film 9.5/10

Cold Pursuit
    is a film about the revenge a Father inflicts on all those who are responsible for the heroin overdose murder of his son. Liam Neeson is great in the lead role. The body count by the time the credits roll is very high, but each death is integral to the plot unfolding. I would give this film 9/10
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback