PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have had lots of irritating things happen the past couple of days.

Let me think about what went right today...

1. My new silver earrings arrived, just cheapy ones, but quite pretty.

2. I got a £10 refund into my bank account.

3. I ordered a new face cream as I could get a lot of free samples today.

4. I've been rushing around doing errands and cleaning and tidying my house. I'm going to have a bath in a minute to relax.

5. I'm going to have takeaway pizza tonight, sod the diet.:rotfl:
    My Champagne moment yesterday was buying tickets at my local Odeon with my Odeon Limitless card for the films Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw and Blinded By The Light.

I have never watched any of the previous films in the Fast & Furious franchise but I loved Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw :D

I want to see that film. I think Dwayne Johnson is well fit!:heartpuls
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL, Bruce Springsteen did not call himself 'The Boss', his bandmates did when he was lead singer with his band The E Street Band because Bruce took on the onerous task of ensuring they were paid in cash at each of their gigs and then sharing out the money evenly with his bandmates. :D Bruce has never liked this nickname as he has never liked bosses. ;)

Just though it was only fair to set the record straight even though I am not a Bruce Springsteen fan
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 August 2019 at 5:45PM
    Options
    LL, Bruce Springsteen did not call himself 'The Boss', his bandmates did when he was lead singer with his band The E Street Band because Bruce took on the onerous task of ensuring they were paid in cash at each of their gigs and then sharing out the money evenly with his bandmates. :D Bruce has never liked this nickname as he has never liked bosses. ;)

Just though it was only fair to set the record straight even though I am not a Bruce Springsteen fan

Thanks for that.....I stand corrected. Don't want to do the man an injustice.

I'm still not a fan though .........not sure why because I do like some of his songs but he just doesn't "rock my world" :rotfl: although he has written a few good tunes.

Enjoyed my afternoon tea, lovely to catch up with my friend and have a good natter. Going to slob on the sofa tonight or perhaps I should say, recline gracefully and elegantly. Lol.

Chilly here tonight......feels very autumnal.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm loving all these movie recommendations :D Can't recall the last time we went to the cinema, but often buy dvds to watch at home, although we're rather behind as I think the last one we watched was The Favourite which I loved.

Our evenings - when not doing more DIY to save the pennies - are spent binge-watching stuff like Vikings, The Crown, The Borgias, Better Call Saul and Deadwood. Currently our Sunday evening choice is Brideshead Revisited - the original 1980s TV series, not the awful cinema remake! I adore Jeremy Irons :D

No real champagne moments today as I spent seven hours twiddling my thumbs waiting for three deliveries.......grrr! At least they eventually arrived!

This evening's champagne moment - when DH has finished chatting with the LPG guy giving us a quote to finally (it's only been a year!) get our range cooker hob connected - will be enjoying what we call 'posh KFC' (I actually hate KFC, homemade is far better, imho) whilst watching Game of Thrones. I think we must be the only people who have never watched it, lol!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

LessonLearned - I love a good Irish themed night. Ahh the Irish can crack out a tune. Reminds me of my childhood and going to the Irish Club with my G-parents and my Grandads song 'If your Irish, come in the Parlour' - Grandad used to always be banging that one out

Good movies I have seen lately? Bohemian Rhapsody and the new Dumbo, it really is awesome IMO

Box sets - I really enjoyed Orange is the new Black on netflix.
    I have never seen Game of Thrones either - it is so not my thing - although I am assured by ''little un'' that I am a fool for missing out

Champagne moments? I cannot honestly say I have had any typical ones - although my ''little un'' (27 year old) has had some fab news - so that has lifted me no end - you know how it does when you know your adult kids are doing well?

So I started a new job last week and the ladies there dress very smartly and it has had a very good impact on me, I have been digging out dresses and skirts (gasp) that I haven't worn in yonks. It is a bit of a new lease of life to actually make an effort to go to work, and one of the ladies I get on very well with, in particular - so new friendships are being forged. This is all good stuff for me

Financially speaking, I haven't been paid yet but am scraping on by, sticking to my Aldi plan......and I have to say, every single thing from Aldi has been top notch, from meat, to face creams - everything has been great. And it is working wonders for our budget

In my new job, we have a strict one hour lunch policy - which is something I have NEVER had. So I am using this time productively by getting back in to my old habit of competitions. I used to do the daily ones on here constantly, but slipped. I did have a couple of good wins too, but its all about the time put in - but instead of sitting there twidding my thumbs I might as well try and win - and website browsing is allowed at work

Im getting more time to myself, which is just what I wanted, time to indulge in playing my instrument, and making a row hahaha

So thats it from me really. Take care all
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • lessonlearned
    edited 14 August 2019 at 12:38AM
    Options
    Hi Ska Lover....great to hear that you are enjoying your new job, making friends, getting to grips with your new simpler less stressful lifestyle and, just as importantly, are having fun in dressing up. I am a great believer in dressing up and showing up each and every day, to get the maximum fun and joy out of life.

"A day without dressing up is a bit like a day without sunshine" - dull, grey and deadly boring, after all, who wants to run around looking like a bag lady.

I believe that each day should be a celebration of the precious gift of life and that we should sally forth to enjoy it dressed in our finery and smelling divine. No saving stuff "for best" - wear it, use it and enjoy it now.

We are sooooo worth it.:rotfl:

You're grandad sounds great, sounds like you have lots of fond memories of him. I agree Irish pubs are fun and traditional Irish Music always gets my toes tapping.

Your "little un" is right :D - you should give Game of Thrones a whirl.

I know several people who arrived late at that party but loved it once they got there. The first couple of episodes are a bit slow and can be a tad confusing because there are so many characters to introduce and plot lines to follow. However, once it gets going it's a roller coaster ride.

Yes it's violent and yes there's a lot of sex but it's also stylish, well written and the plots are character driven rather than an over reliance on the same old boring car chases and explosions you so often see in "adventure" movies.

GOT is a seriously expensive piece of TV with very high production values. But the money was well spent - It has everything, humour, romance, Political chicanery, gorgeous costumes, amazing scenery, magic and fantasy......

And the icing on the cake.......dragons. :rotfl:

It is probably one of the best things I have ever seen on TV, up there with the great historical dramas like Downton and Brideshead,

I am looking forward to seeing the new Quentin Tarantino movie. I think it's called "Once upon a time in Hollywood". My friend asked me today what it was about. I replied that I wasn't entirely sure but I guessed it probably has a lot of sex and drugs. She said "oh good". :rotfl: I saw a trailer tonight and it looks very funny. And with both Leonardo de Caprio and Brad Pitt there's plenty of eye candy......

Got my quote for the windows tonight. Pretty pleased. I have used this guy before, he does a good job and his prices are fair, and cheaper than the big chains....... I often find that the case, that local trades people are cheaper than the big boys. Even when prices are roughly equal I would always prefer to use local businesses where possible. I like to support the local economy whenever I can. He can't do it until October but I'm happy to wait.

Anyway I've had a great day. My "little un" is coming round tomorrow - all 6ft 3ins of him - to help me with a couple of jobs.

No doubt he will need feeding.....
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I like to support the local economy whenever I can.

This is something that only occurred to me over the past few years, from watching programmes like 'can't pay we'll take it away'. I now try and spend more money locally rather than just going to the supermarket or a big retailer.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DDs' most fun event this vacation: walking a dog of an evening. Dog belongs to dd2's classmate, and she and her Mum come to pick my dds up at around 20.30 and return them at 21.30, giving me an hour to wind down on my own :).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • lessonlearned
    edited 14 August 2019 at 9:27AM
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    This is something that only occurred to me over the past few years, from watching programmes like 'can't pay we'll take it away'. I now try and spend more money locally rather than just going to the supermarket or a big retailer.

I think it's worth doing. Quite apart from feeling smug and virtuous i think you often get better deals and service Too. I think its also a case of use it or lose it.....if we want a vibrant local economy with lots of choice then I think we need to support the indies. I really want to see our local high streets survive. I don't want to see our choices eroded and find us restricted just to a handful of faceless corporate megastores.

The place where I went for afternoon tea was part of a farm shop complex. They sold eggs, vegetables and even their own ready meals. The produce is excellent, most of it organic. I tried a cottage pie ready meal last night, it was delicious. Same price as the supermarkets but double the size portion. I took a good look at the meat, it looks great. You know where it comes from, that the animals are treated humanely and that it's not packed full of antibiotics and growth hormones. And it's no dearer than supermarket meat.

It's 10 minutes up the road from me.......so no excuses. I know where I shall be buying my next lot of meat from.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Champagne moment yesterday was receiving a Delay Repay refund of £10.50 from Virgin Trains :T

Apparently one of the trains I would have traveled on if I had gone to Birmingham last weekend was delayed. Lucky for me Virgin issue automatic refunds :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback