PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ah bless you.....welcome aboard.

Well I have been beautifying.......

I have just treated my face to a mild skin peel. My skin feels great, so smooth. Painted my toenails scarlet......I love painted toe nails, makes me feel decadent and wicked. :rotfl:
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am having a lazy day now after a music lesson this morning

I am laying in bed binge watching the new season of my fave show, whilst hubby is downstairs watching some boring car rubbish haha
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • lessonlearned
    edited 28 July 2019 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Dark, grey and quite breezy this morning so a nice little champagne moment ......lazing in bed with my coffee, looking out and watching the trees sway in the wind. Had a bit of a restless night so having a lie in this morning, taking it slowly and gently.

I meant to say yesterday I revamped my lounge, moved some furniture round, swapped the rug, changed the lamps, added a new painting that my son gave me, and dug out a couple of ornaments that had been languishing in a cupboard.

I was going to sell them, but in the end I just couldn't, even though they are actually worth a fair bit of money. They are a pair of Chinese green and purple jade Temple Dogs my husband fell in love with when went to China so great sentimental value.

Anyway they are supposed to bring luck and good fortune as well as guarding against evil spirits .....ha ha .....so maybe I should hang on to them. I need all the luck and good fortune I can get!!!

Don't we all. :rotfl:

I often switch things round and ring the changes for a fresh new look. It's amazing the difference a few tweaks can make and I didn't need to spend anything. I simply added in some extra colour. The room looks a lot better although when you look closely it does need decorating. It hasnt been touched in years. I'll do that after the new fireplace goes in. Messy job so no point painting until that's done. I've not decided on a colour scheme yet.

Even without being able to paint yet I have finally banished most traces of "Miss Haversham" - my nickname for the previous occupant. Talk about Dickensian gloom, cobwebs everywhere, the place was filthy. There was ginormous conifer hedge and some very overgrown trees blocking out all the light. Simply getting rid of those has made a huge difference.

Rain here today, so the weeds will have to wait, I'm very much a fair weather gardener. Going to nip to Aldi's, do a bit of sewing and then look at energy providers. My fixed term contract finishes next month so I'll check out the deals. I'm currently with Ovo.

After a week or so of concentrating on the house and putting my social life on the back burner I'm happy to report my diary is filling up nicely again for next week.

Time for some fun.......tomorrow I shall finally be getting round to seeing "Yesterday".

Ska lover......what were you binge watching. :D.

I am currently enjoying reruns of Dowton Abbey. I have recorded "Gentleman Jack", Killing Eve and am recording House. I don't like watching in real time, I like to save them up for those long dark winter nights.

Oh and of course Poldark. :rotfl: I'm also watching Handmaids Tale. Bleak but compulsive, although I do think it's dragging now. Time for the revolution!!! Just how much more misery are they going to pile on. :rotfl:

I have Prime and Plex. I'm thinking of adding Now for the winter. I'm also stockpiling books.......I can then cheerfully hibernate. :rotfl:
  • mrs_slapshot
    Options
    Morning all - I've not posted since the middle of June but I read through your updates regularly! Quite a lot has changed for me recently...I was miserable at work, and I last posted just before an interview with a previous employer...well I got the job and I start in September! I've finished at my old place now, so a few weeks off ( a 'mini-retirement' ala Tim Ferriss if you like!) so I'm making the most of it. Got a long list of things planned, and a busy time visiting friends and family together with a short camping break before a couple of weeks at home before my new job.

I must admit I'm feeling a bit nervous about the new job, although it's fairly familiar so not quite like starting all over again somewhere new. The job I've just finished started off so promising just over a year ago, but turned into a nightmare of extra work being piled on, together with a toxic leadership culture. I'm trying hard to put it behind me but I keep having nightmares about it. I'm so glad I am out of there as I know my mental and physical health would have suffered badly. I do think I have someone looking out for me..although I am not particularly religious I do kind of believe in angels. I lost my dad when I was a teenager, and my mum almost 16 years ago so who knows?!

A few things that have happened lately that have cheered me up are having some larder cupboards fitted in my garage - my kitchen is very small so this is very welcome extra storage and has made me so happy! I've also brushed all of the moss out of my block paved drive and will jetwash it - it looks so much better already! I am also planning to revamp my living/dining area - not very lemonade budget but I've got a hankering for a new round glass dining table that will look fab! I have a budget set aside for new flooring which I've decided against so I could use that. Will shop around for a good deal!

I've also signed up for a couple of Meetup new member nights...need to pull my big girl pants on and get up the courage to actually go! LL is my inspiration for that ;)

Right, time to actually get out of bed and go and embrace the day! Have a lovely day everyone :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 July 2019 at 4:23PM
    Options
    Sorry i've been MIA again.Loads going on , n i'm having tests for MS cos my mobility is awful, along with tremors in my hands n all sorts of other symptoms.Praying it's just stress related
    Hope you're all ok xxx
    LL your posts have cheered me up already ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • lessonlearned
    edited 28 July 2019 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Candy sending you :grouphug::grouphug: I was intending to pm you today because i missed you and wondered how you were.

Re your tests for MS. I do hope it is stress related or something smilar.

Could the tremors be linked to any meds you might be taking.

The reason I ask is that I had a friend who developed a severe tremor and the classic head shakes associated with Parkinson's after she was misdiagnosed with depression. The meds she was given for her depression caused her to develop similar symptoms to Parkinson's. :eek:

It turned out that the original depresssion was linked to the menopause so once they got her hormones stabilised the depression cleared of its own accord.

She was misdiagnosed with Parkinson's but in the end it all turned to be menopause related. Bad enough of course but treatable and certainly not a long term neuro condition. She had a couple of rough years but went on to make a full recovery.

I seem to recall your meds have changed recently.........??

Anyway glad my prattle has cheered you up a bit.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 28 July 2019 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Hi Mrs Slapshot.....

Great news about the new job. Of course you are nervous, I think that's quite natural, especially as you've had such a rough time in your last post. It's bound to affect your confidence a bit. However, it does sound like you've done the right thing, it's not worth wrecking your health and sanity for the sake of a wage packet.....enjoy you mini retirement a la Tim Ferris.

I enjoyed his book. I would like to put some of his ideas into practice. I particularly liked his story of learning Spanish and the tango in Buenos Aires.:rotfl: I have been offered the chance of an extended visit to Costa Rica........

Do I, dare I. :rotfl:

I'm not religious ether and I'm not sure that I believe in angels in the accepted sense but I often think there's "something" out there in the ether.....I do feel that I have people like my husband, my darling aunt and my lovely mum out there guiding me and spurring me on. I hear my aunts words of wisdom, and feel my mums approval. As for my husband, well he's so deeply embedded in my psyche it's hard to know sometimes where I end and he begins.....hes just there. :rotfl:

Good to hear you've signed up for Meet Up. Hope you have fun. I have got a Spanish night on Thursday and on Wednesday I'm meeting a lady who I met through the group for lunch. I have met some nice women through Meet Up. (No Male prospects yet but who knows. Never say never)

I am currently on the sofa with my heated throw. My legs really hurt today, I think it must be the sudden drop in temperature. From 37 down to 16 in just 2 days, so no time to adapt. Hopefully the heat will help.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't think it's the meds LL, cos it's coincided with a few new symptoms.
    Oooh Costa Rica!!!Get packed asap.I'd love to there :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • mrs_slapshot
    Options
    .....enjoy you mini retirement a la Tim Ferris.

I enjoyed his book. I would like to put some of his ideas into practice. I particularly liked his story of learning Spanish and the tango in Buenos Aires.:rotfl: I have been offered the chance of an extended visit to Costa Rica........

Do I, dare I. :rotfl:

I'm not religious ether and I'm not sure that I believe in angels in the accepted sense but I often think there's "something" out there in the ether.....I do feel that I have people like my husband, my darling aunt and my lovely mum out there guiding me and spurring me on. I hear my aunts words of wisdom, and feel my mums approval. As for my husband, well he's so deeply embedded in my psyche it's hard to know sometimes where I end and he begins.....hes just there. :rotfl:

Oh my goodness LL of course you must do Costa Rica!!! Yes!!! I know you want to... ;)

I don't believe in angels in the accepted sense either...but I completely agree with you that our loved ones are spurring us on!

Thank you for your kind words...much appreciated. You, and others on this thread, are an inspiration to me :T
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Champagne moment yesterday was going to watch the film Lion King at Odeon Leicester Square. I bought a ticket with my Odeon Limitless card, but this time I had to pay an additional £5 for my Luxe recliner seat in the stalls, as I did not want to sit in the Circle as I suffer from vertigo. :cool:

Even though the story line was familiar to me, I still found the film fascinating because of the 'live action'. As Odeon Leicester Square has the only Dolby screen the picture definition and the sound is of a superior quality, which enhanced my viewing pleasure of this film. I would give this film 8.5/10 :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback