Royal Mail £8 Internal Post Handling Fee scam?

Options

Comments

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    So tell everyone else that would wish to how they can choose DHL when importing goods instead of quoting me at every post, be productive instead of debating. I have explained in many posts how the fees come in with RM if you care to read back, as said again and again, it's choice.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • doveman
    doveman Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    So tell everyone else that would wish to how they can choose DHL when importing goods instead of quoting me at every post, be productive instead of debating. I have explained in many posts how the fees come in with RM if you care to read back, as said again and again, it's choice.

Er, I did just tell everyone about DHL in my first post. It was you that decided to quote me and spout some nonsense about RM being better.

I'll leave you to it.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    DHL's fee is £10 for businesses, the £1.25 fee appears to be for occasional items

What is the administration fee?
    The fee for business customers is £10 or 2% of the total duty/VAT amount incurred, whichever is the greater.

The growth of Internet shopping has led us to introduce a different administration fee for private individuals. This is because net shoppers are usually buying infrequently and purchasing low cost items such as CDs, DVDs or software. We felt that low usage such as this merited a different fee structure. We charge a flat rate of £1.25 where the total duty/VAT is less than £62.50, or 2% of the total duty/VAT incurred if greater than £62.50.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2011 at 9:28AM
    Options
    And how does the above actually tell people how they can choose DHL? They order stuff from ebay for example, how do they choose DHL? That's what I mean by telling them. Surely it would be up to the sender what shipping method to use? Or are u telling people to demand that the sender uses DHL?
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • eatee
    eatee Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I thought when you ordered internationally it automatically gets passed from customs to Royal Mail/Parcelforce. This is probably a similar question to the above poster: If I've ordered a parcel via USPS already, is there a way to get DHL to deal with it once it arrives in the UK? I take it all charges are the same apart from the handling fee?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eatee wrote: »
    I thought when you ordered internationally it automatically gets passed from customs to Royal Mail/Parcelforce. This is probably a similar question to the above poster: If I've ordered a parcel via USPS already, is there a way to get DHL to deal with it once it arrives in the UK? I take it all charges are the same apart from the handling fee?

get it sent by #DH:L or one of their partners in the US
    As with most posters on this thread
    you have left it too late to be choosing options now
  • Potsdamerplatz
    Options
    Both Royal Mail and HM Revenue & Customs have become corrupt, criminal organisations who are doing this to seize money from hard-working tax payers in order to reduce the budget deficit for their Tory masters.
  • mdk_2
    mdk_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I got stung with this Royal Mail £8 Internal Post Handling Fee, I phoned up Royal Mail to complain about the exorbitant fee but was met with answers she's probably said a thousand times before (a well rehearsed unsympathetic explanation).

I looked back through these posts and can't believe they have been getting away with it for so long! Utter Scam!

I have no problem with paying tax on goods I buy from outside the EU, but this £8 Internal Post Handling Fee is a stealth fee that is way over the odds. And they know you will pay because they have your goods and you over a barrel with your pants down.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mdk wrote: »
    I got stung with this Royal Mail £8 Internal Post Handling Fee, I phoned up Royal Mail to complain about the exorbitant fee but was met with answers she's probably said a thousand times before (a well rehearsed unsympathetic explanation).

I looked back through these posts and can't believe they have been getting away with it for so long! Utter Scam!

I have no problem with paying tax on goods I buy from outside the EU, but this £8 Internal Post Handling Fee is a stealth fee that is way over the odds. And they know you will pay because they have your goods and you over a barrel with your pants down.

well pay them then. don't leave it for someone else to do it for you............
  • wicanspirit
    Options
    Personally, our view is that the matter revolves around transparency of fees. Having just received one of these packages from one of our suppliers with an Import Duty of £0.00, Excise Duty of £0.00, VAT of £6.19, Other costs of £0.00 and a Royal Mail International Handling Fee of £8.00 which was completely unexpected it should have been made clear at the time of purchase that this additional charge may be applicable. We do not blame the supplier either as he may have not known about the additional charge.

Most people are aware that there is a chance of additional charges being applied to imported goods but, as an online shop owner, it is exceptionally difficult and time consuming to present every single charge to the consumer at the time of purchase. This resolves down to the fact that it is incredibly unclear and difficult to locate all this information from the postal supplier, either by speaking to them or digging through their website. Even the staff themselves seem unable to clearly state what fees could be applicable throughout the postage process, although their systems seem to be able to quickly apply the claimed charges - ergo... someone must know the process.

It is our opinion, in the interest of trying to present a clear and transparent shopping experience for our customers, that the fees, handling charges and postage costs that will applied from the time the purchase leaves our hands and arrives in the hands of the customer should be made as clear as humanly possible by the postage supplier. Without this being forthcoming from the postage supplier then this problem will continue to exist and complaints reoccur.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback