Jury service pre booked annual leave

Options
Marvel1
Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 10 November 2018 at 9:54AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Just received a summons for jury duty :(

The dates selected is a date I have off booked annual leave - not going anywhere (great bloody timing).

What happens in this situation in regards to leave with employer?

Edit: Damn it I forgot to mention somethimg to late in the hour when I posted.

In regards to my pre booked leave, i sort of have to use it as I have too much and my new entitlement starts while my last day leaves ends - am I making sense?

I don't to want to waste my leave hanging around all day in court.

I don't mind referring to a new date but as i have not booked a holiday, it's awkard.

Comments

• xapprenticex
    Options
    cancel the leave
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    But bear in mind that jurors aren't entitled to paid leave from their employers - and the allowance paid for loss of earnings may not cover your actual wage unless you are on a lower income. Alternatively, at this stage, you may be able to tell the jury service that your are on holiday - I don't think they require evidence - and ask for a deferment.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read the form carefully, it tells you what to do if you can't attend. You will be re-allocated another slot to do your service.

Do not just not turn up without telling them, you may find yourself in contempt and fined or worse.

Enjoy the experience, bring a book or similar to occupy the downtime waiting for cases.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Most companies will pay you for attending jury service so check your policy and if they do then cancel your leave and enjoy the experience.

I always believe it is your civic duty to do jury service when asked, and people shouldn’t try and get out of it.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 November 2018 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Simples, you've just won an exciting survival staycation with a forumite here on MSE & are expected to show up in Lancashire for the hands-on experience you've won.

There, holiday 'booked'. As someone who also gets into use it or loose it leave situations, you have my absolute & practical sympathy. PM me if you need anything printing & posting?!

As it happens, I agree w JReacher, but I take your point about leave as being equally valid & I don't think jury service is as reliably restful as some think. Eyes various fraud cases which ran for months etc - you the juror don't get to chose!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I agree with sangie - tell them you are on annual leave and they will re-allocate you.

But I also agree with jd reacher that it is a public duty and not to be evaded uneccesarily.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Damn it I forgot to mention somethimg to late in the hour when I posted.

In regards to my pre booked leave, i sort of have to use it as I have too much and my new entitlement starts while my last day leaves ends - am I making sense?

I don't to want to waste my leave hanging around all day in court.

I don't mind referring to a new date but as i have not booked a holiday abroad, it's awkard.

You can reply online - there should be a blue leaflet included with your letter - https://www.gov.uk/reply-jury-summons

I was called for jury service last month but I'm unable to attend due to lack of pre/post school childcare. I completed the online form and received a letter about two weeks later confirming that I have been excused from serving. I was not asked to provide any supporting evidence.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    I was called whilst on maternity leave (in actual fact was called for when I was 39 weeks pregnant), I replied with the dates of my maternity leave and they rearranged it for about a month after the end date I'd given them.

Bear in mind if it's deferred once it can't be deferred again (because my work tried to get it put off and couldn't)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    Most companies will pay you for attending jury service so check your policy and if they do then cancel your leave and enjoy the experience.

I always believe it is your civic duty to do jury service when asked, and people shouldn’t try and get out of it.
    Really? Can you evidence that? Because in my experience that tends to apply only to public sector employers and one or two others. In my experience most employers don't give full pay for jury service. I believe that it costs something like £2k a day per sitting court, which is a lot more than a few bus fairs and lunch for each juror.

In the public sector your are paid full pay, but must claim the allowances and reimburse the employer for them, or you don't get paid in full.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Really? Can you evidence that? Because in my experience that tends to apply only to public sector employers and one or two others. In my experience most employers don't give full pay for jury service. I believe that it costs something like £2k a day per sitting court, which is a lot more than a few bus fairs and lunch for each juror.

In the public sector your are paid full pay, but must claim the allowances and reimburse the employer for them, or you don't get paid in full.

Seriously how do you expect me to provide proof of this? Do you want me to hand over the company handbook for every company in the UK?

As I said in my post the OP should check their company policy which is perfectly sensible advice, but as normal for some reason you want to start an argument about the use of the word "most". You want to chill a bit really!

I will clarify my comment just to appease you! Every company I have worked for in the private sector has always paid you when you are doing jury service. In addition all of my friends who have done Jury service have still been paid by their private sector company.

Finally the official government advice is that "many employers do pay you when you do Jury Service"

https://www.gov.uk/giving-staff-time-off-jury-service/paying-staff-on-jury-service

I accept "many" has a different meaning to "most" but it is the best I can do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure