Jury service pre booked annual leave

Options
13»

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't personally get into trouble over something that you might find interesting. Yes it'll cost you in the long run, but I'd rather claim my expenses and not bring a world of hassle to my door. In my experience it was quite refreshing seeing justice in all it's glory.

I totally agree with you, I'd actually really like to do jury service, although I haven't been called up yet. However I wonder how out of pocket someone would be willing to be before they'd refuse. Would you be willing to be £1k out of pocket. £10k?

I guess one option if it was that vital would be just to remove yourself from the electoral roll, although this obviously presents it's own issues.
    Walking out mid way through a trial "because your work is more important" would get you down that road rather faster! Contempt of court is a strict liability offence so you could be arrested, hauled back before the same judge and locked up in the space of a few hours!

Oh, I agree with this too, people have been jailed for this, however the situation is completely different. If you can show me a case where someone hasn't turned up at all and been jailed, or even fined more than £1k then I'll change my opinion.

While I found the gov.uk link I found another website that claimed an interesting statistic, only a third of people called up to Jury service actually attend. I'd imagine most of those will have a legitimate reason but it's interesting none of the less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure