NowTV - "SuperFibre"

Options
We've recently switched over to now TV, as Virgin upped the prices and we were paying far to much for effectively 2 mid range users in a household (TV/Phone/browsing/downloads/some streaming).

We're certainly not getting fibre speeds and as far as I know Now provides a very basic router, ADSL.

We're happy with the service, but is this a deceptive advertising/description?

Its not full fibre so how can they market it and even use the word fibre.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did a similar swap to basic fibre.

I’m getting 39.9 / 40 Mbps at the router and happy.

The router is the same as sky; Wi-Fi isn’t great.

When speed tested on phone is can appear low
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2018 at 9:41PM
    Options
    We've recently switched over to now TV, as Virgin upped the prices and we were paying far to much for effectively 2 mid range users in a household (TV/Phone/browsing/downloads/some streaming).

We're certainly not getting fibre speeds and as far as I know Now provides a very basic router, ADSL.

We're happy with the service, but is this a deceptive advertising/description?

Its not full fibre so how can they market it and even use the word fibre.

Did you have a problem with Virgin calling their broadband 'fibre', it's not full fibre either , it too is a hybrid system, smilar in a way to the OR FTTC system Now TV use, in both systems only the feed to the cabinet is fibre, the feed to your home isn't fibre, that's the same with VM or OR.

It's not clear why you have posted, if VM were too expensive , and NowTV are providing an acceptable service that is cheaper , what's not to like ?, if it's just NTV calling the service 'fibre' , it's worth remembering it was VM that started using the term 'fibre' on a hybrid system, and if the powers that be didn't mind them doing that, it's hardly surprising that others using a similar hybrid will also use similar advertising
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    More to the point OP, are you getting the promised speeds? Unless they've promised you full FTTP (which Now TV don't offer) I don't see you've grounds to complain.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The word fibre was used before FTTP became available .
    Simply meant fibre to the cabinet at that time .
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options

"Fab Fibre" or "Super Fibre"?
    To keep it simple, "ADSL" gives you broadband speeds of up to 17mbps. Fibre optic broadband lets you go up to 38mbps and superfast fibre is anything faster than that.

If you're looking round our site and want to know which one is which - our DSL product is called Brilliant Broadband, our fibre optic is called Fab Fibre and Superfast fibre is Super Fibre.

Newer modem/hubs work with both ADSL and VDSL (FTTC)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Newer modem/hubs work with both ADSL and VDSL (FTTC)"

Yes they do, but the user has to know that they have a VDSL router.

I remember with horror the time when I had a separate router and BT Modem setup. 3 BT modems crashed and burned. Openreach engineers always carried some on the van. Fitted another 2, the last worked until I bought my own FTTC VDSL router, a TP-Link 9980, no longer available, this probably its closest descendant:-

https://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C7.html

I still have my old 9980 and will swap back as soon as I take FTTC again, after the village nightmare that BT caused here. They installed and reconnected a new cabinet, without researching how much Fibre take up they would need in a large village which has 5 new developments built or in progress. The cabinet crashed and my half of the village was cut off, then BT returned us from FTTC to ADSL, with consequent loss of speeds. I now get 1.5 to 2 Mbps, after having a minimum of 11.5 with previous FTTC. You can imagine how we feel about BT here.

On 15/11 I am due to take up FTTC again with Plusnet, whose Techs, to their credit,* fought against their owner BT to get this service back.

* I have the records of this battle from the Plusnet Members Centre website and it is a long but interesting read. Much criticism, tech based by some very knowledgeable guys from Plusnet: many attempts by BT to waffle due to incompetence and haughty, incorrect efforts to cover it up. BT- BS as it was described here at a Parish Council meeting.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    I think Sky and NowTV have only supplied routers compatable with both asdl and Vsdl for a number of years
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    "Newer modem/hubs work with both ADSL and VDSL (FTTC)"

Yes they do, but the user has to know that they have a VDSL router.

I remember with horror the time when I had a separate router and BT Modem setup. 3 BT modems crashed and burned. Openreach engineers always carried some on the van. Fitted another 2, the last worked until I bought my own FTTC VDSL router, a TP-Link 9980, no longer available, this probably its closest descendant:-

https://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C7.html

I still have my old 9980 and will swap back as soon as I take FTTC again, after the village nightmare that BT caused here. They installed and reconnected a new cabinet, without researching how much Fibre take up they would need in a large village which has 5 new developments built or in progress. The cabinet crashed and my half of the village was cut off, then BT returned us from FTTC to ADSL, with consequent loss of speeds. I now get 1.5 to 2 Mbps, after having a minimum of 11.5 with previous FTTC. You can imagine how we feel about BT here.

On 15/11 I am due to take up FTTC again with Plusnet, whose Techs, to their credit,* fought against their owner BT to get this service back.

* I have the records of this battle from the Plusnet Members Centre website and it is a long but interesting read. Much criticism, tech based by some very knowledgeable guys from Plusnet: many attempts by BT to waffle due to incompetence and haughty, incorrect efforts to cover it up. BT- BS as it was described here at a Parish Council meeting.

BT don't deal with infrastructure and certainly don't install or connect cabinets. You all seem to be blaming BT for an issue that will be caused and dealt with exclusively by Openreach so maybe that's why you weren't getting anywhere when you were contacting the wrong company!.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    You can't really contact OR direct. have to go thru your provider.
    * I have the records of this battle from the Plusnet Members Centre website
  • Flyingkidney
    Options
    Thanks all, the OP, or as some might seem to think, 'something the cat dragged' in was really trying to

A vent a point about Virgin (who are whacking us for about 200, to end contract, we didn't get in touch after moving to now TV etc etc etc.. I digress.
    B wonder if anyone else finds it irksome that the word 'Fibre' can actually be used for something thats only, as folks have kindly reminded us of the difference between full and fibre/copper.

Thanks again for your replies...

J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family