Debit cards

Options

Comments

• HounslowBoy
    Options
    I'm not sure Uxb's comments help me understand the Debit Card issue.
    I believe continuous authority exists on direct debits such as Sky, EE, local council tax etc which do not go through my Debit Card; and on insurances which as a course of nature I shop around annually anyway. The Poor Pensioners Perogative
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I believe continuous authority exists on direct debits such as Sky, EE, local council tax etc which do not go through my Debit Card; and on insurances which as a course of nature I shop around annually anyway.
    Perhaps it would help to consider Continuous Payment Authorities as the debit (or credit) card equivalent of Direct Debits - as you say, DDs aren't associated with cards but CPAs are.

CPAs don't offer the same level of consumer protection as DDs though, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments/
  • HounslowBoy
    Options
    Just received email from bank today see excerpt below. I looked at their website, could not find any such details so I will send a copy of the bank's email to them for their comments

'I have reviewed our records and would like to inform you that For Visa cardholders in Greece, Ireland, Italy and the UK, there is a service called Visa Account Updater service (VAU) to make regular payments on Visa.

Visa banks use the VAU to ensure that selected regular payment suppliers have the most up-to-date card details before they attempt to bill your card.

This means that if your Visa card is lost, stolen or upgraded, selected suppliers can continue to provide your goods or services without interruption. For more information on this, I would suggest you to please visit Visa Europe website. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this regard.'
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just received email from bank today see excerpt below. I looked at their website, could not find any such details so I will send a copy of the bank's email to them for their comments

'I have reviewed our records and would like to inform you that For Visa cardholders in Greece, Ireland, Italy and the UK, there is a service called Visa Account Updater service (VAU) to make regular payments on Visa.

Visa banks use the VAU to ensure that selected regular payment suppliers have the most up-to-date card details before they attempt to bill your card.

This means that if your Visa card is lost, stolen or upgraded, selected suppliers can continue to provide your goods or services without interruption. For more information on this, I would suggest you to please visit Visa Europe website. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this regard.'

Left hand: Hey, right hand, what are you doing?
  • HounslowBoy
    Options
    Visa's reply which I have also forwarded to my bank: -

Thank you for contacting Visa Europe.
    Please be informed that Visa cardholders hold contracts with our Member banks directly. Since these contracts are held between cardholders and card issuing banks, Visa does not store cardholder personal details such as name, address, billing statements or even card numbers.

In this case your bank and the merchant participated in a service called the Visa Account Updater (VAU). This service provides details of changed Visa card numbers to registered recurring transaction merchants whose banks are also members of Visa Europe. The service benefits cardholders by making recurring transactions easier for cardholders when they get a replacement card. This also enables card issuers to communicate to merchants to cease billing a cardholder when a card is cancelled as a result of being lost or stolen. It is a very similar approach to Direct Debit.

If you run into problems with a merchant, please notify your Visa card-issuing bank. Visa Member financial institutions have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations. They also have access to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms that should be used by the financial institution to document and file this type of complaint.

If you identify transactions on your statement which you did not make, then you have an opportunity to formally dispute the transaction pursuant to the Visa Card Scheme rules via your issuing bank. We would recommend that you speak to your issuing bank's Disputes Department to further discuss the transactions in question.

You can contact them directly, using the address or telephone number on your Visa statement or on the back of your card.

Thank you for writing,
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you're overthinking this and it doesn't actually matter in the slightest.

Have you considered a hobby rather than spending time emailing your bank and Visa about something that doesn't actually matter one bit? I hear birdwatching is quite nice.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I hear birdwatching is quite nice.
    OP is already twitching enough ;)
  • HounslowBoy
    Options
    I confess to being pedantic and interested in the minutiae of detail and; who, how, what, why and when someone else might be using my account
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I confess to being pedantic and interested in the minutiae of detail and; who, how, what, why and when someone else might be using my account

But nobody else is.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I think you're overthinking this and it doesn't actually matter in the slightest.

Have you considered a hobby rather than spending time emailing your bank and Visa about something that doesn't actually matter one bit? I hear birdwatching is quite nice.

Disagree.

I don't have a problem with the the Visa Account Updater process myself, I'm quite happy/glad for my card number to be updated with retailers I use as it saves me hassle.

However, what I think is the pertinent issue here is: Neither of the parties involved, the bank and VISA, will accept that they're the ones responsible for doing it. They're both just pointing to the other saying "Not us, you need to speak to them".

There is a process in place that results in your card details being sent to 3rd parties, and nobody seems to know how it works or who does what. Does that sound like a good situation?

What happens if something goes wrong? What happens if the wrong card number is sent out? Or your details get sent somewhere you didn't want them to be sent? Who do you speak to? Who fixes it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure