We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Clarity interest for foreign cash withdrawal

I used my Halifax Clarity while in Greece for purchases and a single 500 euro (£450) ATM withdrawal. Within 24 hours, on 6 September, I transferred £510 to the card to cancel the cash withdrawal and avoid paying too much in interest (I paid more than the actual amount just to be sure I covered the whole amount after conversion). Several weeks later I received a statement showing that on 7 October I was charged £7 interest. My understanding is that I should be charged interest for one day at most. I have been doing precisely the same thing for years and I was never charged more than a few pence in interest. Before I call Halifax, am I missing something here?
«1

Comments

  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Two possibilities:

    1. A payment will be applied to the existing statement balance before any later transactions. Your payment of £510 has been used to clear the balance from your previous statement. Was there a balance on a monthly statement before you made the payment?

    2. You paid the £510 before the ATM withdrawal appeared on your account. The payment would have gone towards the purchases already debited.
  • glocal
    glocal Posts: 131 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    There was a balance from the previous month, but a DD payment clearing it was due on 1 October. I thought that any early payments cover cash transactions first as they are the most expensive. If that is not true, do we have to pay in enough to cover any previous balance + the recent cash transaction(s)?



    According to the statement, I paid the £510 on 6 September, and I withdrew the cash on 5 September. In my experience, it can take a while before the ATM withdrawal amount shows up online, and waiting until it does means interest will be charged.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Payments will always be applied to the balance of the previous statement before being applied to transactions not yet shown on a statement.
  • glocal
    glocal Posts: 131 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Good to know for next time. Thanks.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Even if your cash transaction appears on your statement, if you haven't paid the previous statement in full, then any cash paid will be applied to the previous statement balance first.

    If you have paid the previous statement balance, then wait until the cash transaction appears on your online statement i.e. not pending. Then transfer funds and it will be applied to the cash transaction first.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,383 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Once it has statemented, payments will go strictly in high to low rate order, regardless of previous statement balances.
  • glocal
    glocal Posts: 131 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    bouncydog1 wrote: »
    If you have paid the previous statement balance, then wait until the cash transaction appears on your online statement i.e. not pending. Then transfer funds and it will be applied to the cash transaction first.

    Or I suppose you must transfer in enough funds to cover any outstanding amount from the previous statement and the new cash transaction. Thanks for clarifying.



    TBH I don't understand why funds transferred in early won't be applied to subsequent cash transactions (assuming there is no outstanding balance from a previous statement), but fair enough.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,383 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    glocal wrote: »
    Or I suppose you must transfer in enough funds to cover any outstanding amount from the previous statement and the new cash transaction. Thanks for clarifying.

    Only if the cash transaction hasn't statemented.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,465 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    glocal wrote: »
    TBH I don't understand why funds transferred in early won't be applied to subsequent cash transactions (assuming there is no outstanding balance from a previous statement), but fair enough.

    There has to be a set order in which payments are allocated, otherwise Halifax could allocate them willy-nilly.

    Halifax helpfully lists how payment will be allocated on the back of the statement you receive.
    Allocation of payments

    We use your payments to clear any overdue amounts before we apply them to your latest minimum payment.

    We will reduce the amount you owe in the following order:
    · any overdue amounts from previous statements;then
    · the remaining balance on your statement;then
    · any recent transactions not yet shown on your statement.

    If credit card companies allocated payments against future transactions a punter would never pay off their credit card balance.
  • Insert message here
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.