Earn over 50k never seem to have any money

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need a holiday to Florida. I agree with other posters you need to work out what you want, is it a £10k+ holiday to Florida or your own home.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Out of all the places I've visited in the USA, I can honestly say that Florida is the place I'd least likely to want to return to. I bet you could have just as good a time in other states for a lot less money.
    Florida isn't expensive, unless you book using a rip-off tour operator. £17k is just unbelievable, should be able to do if for a third of that price easy. It's also very varied, loads to see there, everglades, keys, space centre etc, could be great experience. As long as you don't spend the whole holiday in the Orlando area & stood in queues in theme parks for 95% of the day!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You paid through the nose for your holiday. Friends of mine have just done the Florida trip of a lifetime - cost them 7K in total. I'm doing a two week fly drive around Vegas and the Grand Canyon in a Mustang next year for 5k...that said, you've committed now and when it's paid for you'll have a chunk to spend on a deposit. Commit to paying the same per month for your deposit and try and bring back a few dollars to convert back to pounds. I would make packed lunches for the parks and have breakfast (a few donuts) in the room. Go to the cheapo all-you-can-eat buffets (Ponderosa or similar) and load up !
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    It's also very varied, loads to see there

So is the rest of (non-touristy) America.
  • zagfles
    Options
    So is the rest of (non-touristy) America.
    Indeed - but of all the places I've been in the US I'd say Florida is top if you have kids with you. Even if you don't want to go to theme parks. Personally I'd do 2 or 3 days in theme parks, and the rest of the time doing real stuff.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Indeed - but of all the places I've been in the US I'd say Florida is top if you have kids with you. Even if you don't want to go to theme parks.

They have them in most of the other 50 odd states as well.
  • zagfles
    Options
    They have them in most of the other 50 odd states as well.
    So which state would you recommend with kids then, and why? Here's a list of what we did in Florida (without kids, as it happens, but out of all the places we've been it was the most "kidd'ish holiday): https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=54098043#post54098043
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you thought about care work for part time/ school hours? I know many people dismiss stout of hand because it is 'looking after old people' but it can be really rewarding. For child care I would have thought that the 15 year old could look after your twins for a couple of hours or so in the evening if you couldn't get home for the school run. In the holidays you might need to take annual leave or be a bit more creative but it really isn't too difficult to arrange some form of childcare, even if it means your eldest has to be a bit more responsible.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 November 2018 at 9:01PM
    Options
    Earning over £50k on one wage, living in council house for peanuts rent, dressing up a £17k holiday as beneficial to the children .... and then moaning hasnt enough money .... This thread has to be a wind up!
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    Earning over £50k on one wage, living in council house for peanuts rent, dressing up a £17k holiday as beneficial to the children .... and then moaning hasnt enough money .... This thread has to be a wind up!

Not necessarily. I have more spare money now on £high20sK and one child than I had with £55K and childless. As several PPs have said, it is a case of prioritising what is important. It can also be difficult recognising where you are wasting money.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport