New user to broadband

Options
This isn't about me, but for someone I know. She is having to go onto broadband because her provider is cutting out dial up at the end of the year, and she really does't know who to go with. so I said I would ask you lovely people :)
She isn't a big internet user (which I guess is why she has stuck with dial up for so long) so download limits and stuff won't matter so much. She was also thinking about getting a phone package in with broadband, but again isn't a big phone user.. she works from home, so most of her calls are made during the day for work. She has a BT phone line.
Please could you advice which provider she could go with, and which package? many thanks for your help :)
:j £2 coins = £2.00 :j

Comments

• mk-donald
    mk-donald Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    At the very least check what MOBILE provider friend has as they may be able to get free/heavily-discounted broadband - eg from Orange or o2 Broadband.
  • kendalls_cave
    Options
    Thanks - but they don't use a mobile :)
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One option for a light-user that has been happy with dial-up is actually to use a service that works via picking up a mobile signal.

3's USB modem just needs to be plugged into a computer, the software installs itself and for £10 a month an internet connection is present!

If your friend lives in a 3 Turbo area (which is dramatically expanding by April 2008) then the modem will work at fast broadband speeds (up to 2.8Mbps) and if not, it will pick up the slower similar-to-dial-up signal.

The modem is FREE with a 24 month contract on 3's £10/month 1 gigabyte data allowance (for light internet surfing and emailing this is going to be plenty, especially for someone used to dial up).

Sign up directly with three via quidco.com for £16 cashback and a FREE USB modem. Many retailers seem to be charging for the modem on the £10/month deal. but direct from the Three website it is free with the 24 month contract.
  • epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    the advantages of a 3g service are mostly for people without fixed lines or in rural areas and of course road warriors.

if they are they type of user i suspect then they surf the odd hour and want to keep there phone line for calls, in that case just go for a whoever is cheap but not a total dog, sory but i only pay attention to the power user markets but i would look at which figures etc
  • piglet29
    piglet29 Posts: 6,214 Forumite
    Options
    what about talktalk, ive been with these a while now and they are good, phone package and free broadband, go to https://www.talktalk.co.uk and check it out:j
    A freebie a day sends a smile my way!
    Night Owl member No 9 :kisses2:
    I Started out with nothing.....still have most of it left:o
  • Tamarin
    Tamarin Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    I am also looking for mobile internet access for my laptop. I would only need this when I was away from home so would be a light user for sending/receiving emails and generally surfing. My laptop has WiFi but I do find it difficult to connect when I find a hot spot. Speed is not important to me, so a dial up? I have looked at 3's site. The £10 per month is for a contract - is this right? What I am getting confused about is am I then charged 50p per minute when I am on line? I cannot see if vat is included in the £10pm or the charges per minute. Sorry but I do get a bit confused with the tariffs. Tamarin
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With the 3 deal, you are entering a £10/month contract. You get a little lozenge shape device that plugs into a USB port on your computer. The £10/month covers the first gigabyte of data - which for light internet surfing and emails is sufficient. You only pay more if you exceed the 1 gigabyte limit each month.
  • Tamarin
    Tamarin Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I can follow that. Tamarin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business