Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Taking back the control - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Taking back the control

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
209 replies 14.8K views

Replies

• Thick_n_ThinThick_n_Thin Forumite
    310 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Not updated for a few days and I’m starting to go off the straight and narrow. Grocery spends are creeping up and the top up shops have started again. Alcohol consumption is up again after a particularly stressful few days in work and a close family member in hospital has thrown my usual routine out and added additional costs for parking ect. Need to assess the damage and get back on track quickly. I have sold another 3 items on eBay so hopefully this can repair some of the damage
    Aiming to be mortgage free in 3 years June 2023.
    May 2020 - £63,493
  • DancingInTheRainDancingInTheRain Forumite
    736 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi TnT
    Just wanted to wish you well with your journey, totally understand what you mean when you say posting on here makes you feel more accountable :o keep going xx
    01.06.19 Debt £13,636
    Debt Free 25.07.20
    Mortgage 10.01.21 £52,999
    Savings Goals: EF £6000/£6000, S&S ISA £850
  • CCW007CCW007 Forumite
    131 posts
    So it transpires I have been driving around in an untaxed car!!! Opened a letter from dvla last night warning me that my car tax expired on 31st May. I completely have no recollection of receiving the reminder so quickly looked through all the old post that is currently in the tinned food cupboard ( don’t know why) and there it was!! So I quickly paid the £80 over the phone, how the hell I missed this I don’t know as I have never forgotten a bill before! Anyway that’s another £80 I will need to find this month, I’ve now got a horrible feeling I am going to have to increase my overdraft again this month which I am loath to do. I will have a think on how to resolve this as I really don’t want to go back into my overdraft!
    The money for the car tax has come from OH’s personal savings, and will be repaid to him from next months money. Another example on how we are like chalk and cheese when it comes to money management, out of our personal spends each month my OH always saves some of his cash into a separate (from me) savings account, I don’t know how much he has probably a couple of hundred but I spend everything I have..... determined to do better with my cash this month. I have £60 left to last me 3 weeks ( that’s for personal money and only has to cover my wants! Think I should be able to do it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but if you had £60 personal spends why did your OH have to cover the £80? Could you cover £60 and he loan you £20 to cover the remainder? If your personal spends are wants not need it wouldn't have been the end of the world to use them to cover an essential expenditure.
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    No it’s not harsh, OH paid it out of his savings and it will be paid back next month when I get paid, I don’t think it’s realistic to try and get through 3 weeks with no personal spending money, if I cut it to close to the bone I know I’ll fail so I need to have some cash in my pocket so I don’t go off the rails completely, if I can make up the difference in eBay sales then it can be repaid earlier.
    May 2020 - £63,493
  • CCW007CCW007 Forumite
    131 posts
    Glad you didn't take offence! Sounds like you are being realistic then.
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    So things have unraveled again. A bereavement of a close family member and having less enthusiasm has basically put me back to square one. Reduced income over the last few weeks whilst relative was ill has knocked us off course but it wasn’t high on our priority list at the end of the day. It has made me realise even more how important an emergency fund is for when everything seems to go wrong! Time to assess the damage and see where to go from here x
    May 2020 - £63,493
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    So I have just received my 1st statement from my credit card balance transfer card at 0%. We owe £1699 and My monthly payment has Decreased from £40 to £17 but I have paid the usual £40. We are also £34 in credit on the card that we transferred from so OH needs to cancel the card and close the account so they can issue a check, this can then be paid of the card!
    I have been moving my eBay money into my Christmas savings account and have just over £28 on there. I haven’t really been doing much with eBay lately but have had some good successes in the past so will need to re engage with this soon as it’s a good way of raising a bit of extra cash when times are tight and a good way of decluttering.
    I have started growing some saled vegetables as well and currently have lettuce, radishes, chives and the start of what will hopefully be spring onions, I admit my dad has been the main driving source behind this as he is a keen gardener and used to have an allotment ( before it was fashionable!) so all I have to do is remember to water the pots!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    Something really nice has happened today, after a mundane but ok day at work I arrived home to find that OH has been given a gift of £800 from a very generous relative. He has given me £200 is keeping £200 for himself and putting £400 into our joint savings account ( the one that is untouchable) I have decided to pay back £100 to our savings that I borrowed some time ago which will leave £100 outstanding. This will bring the joint savings to just under 4K. Our aim is to get this to 5k at least for any emergencies that may arise in the future. So a nice little ending to an otherwise mundane week. Just of to water my pots before settling down with a bottle of wine!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    I’ve just downloaded the zifit app, I’ve plenty of books, cds and dvds that are taking up space so I’ll try and move these on. Have had 2 bids on some items that have been hanging around for a while that I’ll be glad to see the back of, not huge amounts but better than nothing. Would like to try and get a couple of things listed on eBay today but feeling low on motivation to do so, feel really tired today so not sure how the day will pan out, OH wants to go out somewhere but I wouldn’t mind a day just pottering about tbh, coffee 1st then we will decide!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    310 posts
    ✭✭
    So we ended up taking a walk along a coastal path not too far from us that we have never been too before, it was nice to get out and get some fresh air, finished off having 2 glasses of wine in a nearby pub and then picking up a takeaway on the way home as I didn’t feel like cooking. So a bit spendy but it’s not often that we do it so I don’t begrudge it. I didn’t get any eBaying done but will try to get a couple of things listed this week. Aiming for a no spend day tomorrow to balance out today. I need to make sure I take my lunch with me tomorrow so I need to make the effort in the morning to put something together, I normally prep the night before but I’m feeling a bit lethargic after the wine and takeaway! Back to the gym tomorrow and it’s fair to say I am not looking forward to it one bit!
    May 2020 - £63,493