No BT fibre in my area, in London

Options
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this, or any tips. I’m a long time reader but first time poster at MSE so hope this thread is ok. Any thoughts very much appreciated.

My Virgin fibre broadband deal / contract has ended and they have hoiked me up to c £45 pcm. After much negotiation they only offered to reduce by £30 per yr, if I paid my annual line rental in one go.
So, rather rashly, I gave my 30 days notice and went off to select one of the many cheaper options I’d spotted on the comparison sites for my postcode. However, when I actually go to purchase the broadband, they ALL tell me they do not supply fibre to me, despite coming up as available for my postcode on the comparison sites. This includes, BT, Sky, Plus net, Talk Talk, Vodafone etc.

I popped into my local EE store to see if they could shed any light on it and was told that all companies, bar Virgin, use BT fibre network and it is over stretched in our area (suburb of London) so no new contracts being offered. So as a result I have gone back to Virgin but not started a new contract in case I can do better with more research.

Anyone found the same, or found a way round this (apart from moving!!)

Thanks

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    check out your ASDL speed? maybe enough?

You should have held out a little longer. VM would have probably phone you back and you could have done a deal.
  • Oldoaktree
    Options
    Thank you.
    We use Netflix so my poorly educated view is that we need a reasonable speed for the streaming.
    I bet you are right and I did bottle too soon on reversing the cancellation, but I started to panic as it might mean not being able to work from home & use Skype if I suddenly found virgin wouldn’t offer fibre either, and it is such a valuable perk.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oldoaktree wrote: »
    Thank you.
    We use Netflix so my poorly educated view is that we need a reasonable speed for the streaming.
    Netflix state you need at least 5Mb/sec for HD streaming. This is well within the capability of ADSL if your line isn't too long.
  • Oldoaktree
    Options
    Thanks! That’s helpful and gives me another option to think about. I might have a chat to the IT guys at work and see what they recommend for working from home too.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are much better off finding out what your line is capable of.

This can be done on the internet using your post code etc.

One way is to go part way through the sign up process, it should give you a guaranteed speed. Post it here.

You IT guys won't be able to comprehend anything less than fibre.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    This can be done on the internet using your post code etc.

This one?

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family