Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Sky TV - accepted offer, but they still cancelled

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
9 replies 2K views
SamDudeSamDude Forumite
286 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
I had the full Sky Q TV service at a 50% deal which was due to end this week.
My monthly cost was around £40, this included 1 Sky Q Mini at £12.

I gave my 31 days notice (31 days ago) and was given a couple of offers to stay, none of these were close to what I was paying (or willing to pay).

On the sky.com/mydeal page, there was an offer for the full package at £37. I decided to accept this on Saturday afternoon and I took a screenshot of the 'Welcome Back' confirmation page.

I thought I was done for another 12 months, however I then got an automated email early Sunday morning stating the offer couldn't be applied. I spend a couple of hours yesterday on online chat and phone to CS - where nobody could see the offer and they kept bouncing me between each other, but my account was still pending closure. I was told that I may be lucky and the closure wouldn't go ahead (!)

Has anyone else had this situation where they have accepted the online offer, but had it withdrawn later (or their service cancellation still go ahead)?

Today is cancellation day, the HD channels have reverted to SD (Sky News, Sky One...), but I can still view all the channels. My online account is inviting me to 'Join Sky TV' and the mydeal offer page no longer loads (I have screenshot proof though).

Do I have any grounds for a formal complaint?

Replies

• BoohooBoohoo Forumite
    980 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can make a formal complaint if you wish.

I don't know if your complaint will get anywhere with Sky.

As for the online offer if you read through 100's of thread on here you will see lots of ex Sky and current Sky users have had offers not honored or wrongly applied or just canceled half way through there min term contracts and the customer can do nothing about it.

I think i read on here that Sky do not have give you what was offered online/email or offer leaflet if they don't want to as it's upto them if they want you as a customer but i maybe wrong.

In the past year Sky have been giving out good discounts less now than in the past and the main reason i will not have Sky Q is that when the contract ends and you/them terminate you have to send the equitment back as it will not work unless you start another rolling/fixed contract unlike Sky +HD which is yours to keep.
  • SamDudeSamDude Forumite
    286 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, and I thought I was the only one this happened to when the CS rep was acting like he was trying to help with my situation...

I got to the point where I told the rep that should the cancellation go ahead, then I would be happy to let the service go (which it has).

I have an original Sky HD box (and had a hybrid LNB fitted), so they are welcome to the Sky Q boxes as I can swap over to the Sky HD box....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Boohoo wrote: »
    ...the main reason i will not have Sky Q is that when the contract ends and you/them terminate you have to send the equitment back as it will not work unless you start another rolling/fixed contract unlike Sky +HD which is yours to keep.

Why would this stop you using Sky? It's not like the box is of much use and if you did want the Freesat from Sky then you can pick up a box anywhere. I'm changing to Q shortly but I'll put the HD box away, must remember to grab the LNB too now I think about it.
  • BoohooBoohoo Forumite
    980 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Why would this stop you using Sky? It's not like the box is of much use and if you did want the Freesat from Sky then you can pick up a box anywhere. I'm changing to Q shortly but I'll put the HD box away, must remember to grab the LNB too now I think about it.

LNB, that's another thing wrong with Sky Q if the installer/Sky don't install a hybrid lnb on the dish and you leave Sky Q and send all the gear back to them and you can't use the dish as a feed because the Sky Q lnb is not a hybrid one you will have buy/change the lnb to use with an old sat box.
    Some people don't have freeview or cable in the home and a sat box is the way for them.
    But then not everybody wants a dish on the roof/wall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Boohoo wrote: »
    LNB, that's another thing wrong with Sky Q if the installer/Sky don't install a hybrid lnb on the dish and you leave Sky Q and send all the gear back to them and you can't use the dish as a feed because the Sky Q lnb is not a hybrid one you will have buy/change the lnb to use with an old sat box.
    Some people don't have freeview or cable in the home and a sat box is the way for them.
    But then not everybody wants a dish on the roof/wall.

£15 for an HD LNB or double for a hybrid one isn't going to break the bank, obviously the dish has to be accessible.
  • edited 22 October 2018 at 3:09PM
    T-G-CT-G-C Forumite
    591 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 22 October 2018 at 3:09PM
    SamDude wrote: »
    I had the full Sky Q TV service at a 50% deal which was due to end this week.
    My monthly cost was around £40, this included 1 Sky Q Mini at £12.

I gave my 31 days notice (31 days ago) and was given a couple of offers to stay, none of these were close to what I was paying (or willing to pay).

On the sky.com/mydeal page, there was an offer for the full package at £37. I decided to accept this on Saturday afternoon and I took a screenshot of the 'Welcome Back' confirmation page.

I thought I was done for another 12 months, however I then got an automated email early Sunday morning stating the offer couldn't be applied. I spend a couple of hours yesterday on online chat and phone to CS - where nobody could see the offer and they kept bouncing me between each other, but my account was still pending closure. I was told that I may be lucky and the closure wouldn't go ahead (!)

Has anyone else had this situation where they have accepted the online offer, but had it withdrawn later (or their service cancellation still go ahead)?

Today is cancellation day, the HD channels have reverted to SD (Sky News, Sky One...), but I can still view all the channels. My online account is inviting me to 'Join Sky TV' and the mydeal offer page no longer loads (I have screenshot proof though).

Do I have any grounds for a formal complaint?

You can of course complain. You were offered a deal, accepted it, were accepted for it and then all of a sudden it does not exist. I have had this sort of scenario a few times with different companies.

Usually, the system does one thing and the humans do another. What I mean by that is, the system would have applied it, but they could not see it until the Go Live date for the new plan. I bet if you called them now, they would have a sudden remembrance of the deal.

Did you read the terms of that plan? Did you ensure it had everything you wanted, like the HD channels and entertainment channels? If you accepted it without checking, you might have the offer, but less features than you had before, especially since that 50% discount sounds like a hook offer, which can't be matched on your renewal because they have already had your custom for the last 12 months, as the deal aimed to do. If you are not happy with the new contract like the features it has given you, use any window of opportunity (like 14 days for example) to cancel it easily before any charges set in.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • SamDudeSamDude Forumite
    286 Posts
    ✭✭
    I did read the terms and was willing to agree to them when I took up the 'mydeal'.

It was the same £37 full package that other customers are being offered (here and on other Hot Deal sites), so it was nothing bespoke for me.

During my call to CS yesterday, I was continuously referencing the deal that I had accepted and kept a screenshot of. The CS rep was not able to see this on the system or apply it to my account.

I'll do without for a while. If the calls start coming, I'll see what I am offered. I can certainly live without Sky, but my wife and kids won't :o
  • T-G-CT-G-C Forumite
    591 Posts
    ✭✭
    SamDude wrote: »
    I did read the terms and was willing to agree to them when I took up the 'mydeal'.

It was the same £37 full package that other customers are being offered (here and on other Hot Deal sites), so it was nothing bespoke for me.

During my call to CS yesterday, I was continuously referencing the deal that I had accepted and kept a screenshot of. The CS rep was not able to see this on the system or apply it to my account.

I'll do without for a while. If the calls start coming, I'll see what I am offered. I can certainly live without Sky, but my wife and kids won't :o

It is the same thing for me. I don't watch it that often, perhaps Discovery Channel every now and again but everyone else in the house uses the expensive stuff :rotfl:
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • PDCPDC Forumite
    805 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck. I've had something similar over an offer we'd agreed to with Sky which ended with one Sky CS rep telling the the previous Sky CS rep I'd been speaking to 'must've been lying to me' - So I don't have a great opinion of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals