Universal Credit - closing claim?

Options

Comments

• chloe20
    chloe20 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    I think there are two issues here. If you claim within 6 months your assessment period will run between the same date in the month as previously. As to how long you wait for your first payment I don't know but i would expect it to depend on how the date you make the claim sits within the assessment period. If you claim close to the assessment period date the claim is not going to be processed in time and you would wait until the end of the following assessment period to get paid, if you claim near the start of the assessment period perhaps you can get a payment at the end of that assessment period (albeit presumably for a part period). Like you I can't find anything confirming how this works.

Yeah I'm guessing not a lot of people have voluntarily closed their claim without finding a job which is why the information isnt there on secondary sources like this one. And as for primary/official guidance i believe the idea of UC was to prevent this kind of thing and keep your claim up and running even when youre in work to "top up your wages" etc so kind of makes sense why there isnt any official guidance.

I guess the only way to know for sure what happens 100% in this situation is if you personally go ahead and do it.

I may or may not close my claim I just kinda wanted to know the procedure so i could make an informed decision
  • DEV1L
    DEV1L Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look into going self employed, you dont sign on, you dont see a work coach for 4 months. But what you do have to do is phone up and declare business earnings each month, if its zero you get the full UC payment for that month.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    perhaps i'm being dense but I don't understand why you want to close your claim, stop receiving universal credit and stop being offered opportunities that are aimed at helping you find a job
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DEV1L wrote: »
    Have a look into going self employed, you dont sign on, you dont see a work coach for 4 months. But what you do have to do is phone up and declare business earnings each month, if its zero you get the full UC payment for that month.

If you are self employed after 12 months you are treated as if you are earning money (the minimum income floor) even if you are not.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chloe20
    Options
    DEV1L wrote: »

Cheers I did some brief research but I don't have a viable business plan or anything and doubt i'd be "gainfully self employed" as per the DWP's definition
    w06 wrote: »
    perhaps i'm being dense but I don't understand why you want to close your claim, stop receiving universal credit and stop being offered opportunities that are aimed at helping you find a job

The reason I ignored TELLIT01's post is because I didnt want to be dragged into a debate about the usefulness of the DWP/Jobcentre in actually helping you find a suitable job. My opinion from my experience dealing with them = they are useless and the "opportunities" you refer to are not actual opportunities. Of course as a taxpayer i'd expect UC claimants out of work to do anything they reasonably can to find employment but being forced into random "work experience" when your work history is pretty spot on and you dont need any references or anything is not an "opportunity"

Maybe it is an opportunity for a certain type of person but its not a one box fits all approach
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 October 2018 at 7:36PM
    Options
    chloe20 wrote: »
    ...Of course as a taxpayer i'd expect UC claimants out of work to do anything they reasonably can to find employment ...

Maybe it is an opportunity for a certain type of person...

The "certain type of person" who doesn't have parents able to provide for them?

Or perhaps that "certain type of person" who doesn't have a such a huge sense of entitlement?

I'm beginning to feel sorry for your work coach!
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • chloe20
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    The "certain type of person" who doesn't have parents able to provide for them?

Or perhaps that "certain type of person" who doesn't have a such a huge sense of entitlement?

I'm beginning to feel sorry for your work coach!

Yeah this is exactly why I shouldn't have bothered responding but got dragged into it anyway.

UC/JSA should be a safety net for people who are inbetween jobs, not a conditionality sanction regime under the Tory scum looking to fiddle the "unemployment figures" by dragging anyone they can into anything they can. Four week work experience packing boxes for multi million company? Yes another 'employed' person.

Why do you think there is so much outrage about UC in the media and Labour have said recently they will abolish the sanction regime etc, its a mess. But this wasnt the point of the topic
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Think I must be one of those ‘certain types of people’, with a PhD, professional and teaching qualifications, i’m currently doing some completely unrelated voluntary work experience, because being at work and in work is important to me
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 October 2018 at 7:57PM
    Options
    chloe20 wrote: »
    Yeah this is exactly why I shouldn't have bothered responding but got dragged into it anyway.

UC/JSA should be a safety net for people who are inbetween jobs, not a conditionality sanction regime under the Tory scum looking to fiddle the "unemployment figures". Why do you think there is so much outrage about UC in the media and Labour have said recently they will abolish the sanction regime etc, its a mess. But this wasnt the point of the topic

Indeed. But, nevertheless, "certain types of people" are your words.

I am well aware of the deficiencies of the UC system (and WCA's) and how it can leave vulnerable people destitute and desperate.

If those are your views, then why not volunteer your time to support your local advice agency / CAB / food bank. You may find it makes you a better person.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • chloe20
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    Think I must be one of those ‘certain types of people’, with a PhD, professional and teaching qualifications, i’m currently doing some completely unrelated voluntary work experience, because being at work and in work is important to me

Cool thats great, I completely agree.

Let me guess though, this unreleated voluntary work experience you talk about was

A.) Actually voluntary right?

And more importantly

B.) Something you picked yourself and actually wanted to do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure