British Gas overcharging?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Janeybo
    Janeybo Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Janeybo - just picking up on some of the recent points raised.

Thermostat - there are going to be at least two. One on the boiler itself - if set too high then the water from the tap will be very hot. A second wall mounted thermostat usually on the hall which controls the room temperatures. What is hot ? A matter of personal judgement - my MIL's is at 23 as she is bedridden; my own at 19 because I like to be warm.

Turning both thermostats down will only reduce your gas - not the electric (well only a little bit as the electric pump will be working less)

The Smart Meter is the one in the cupboard not the IHD (which many treat as a novelty and bin after a few days) .it is the meter in he cupboard which you need to read.

You do need to look at your mums bills. Look back a few years before the meter got changed and find 2 actual readings at least 12 months apart and do your sums to find out the cost then. Now look at more recent bills and do the same exercise again. Are they significantly different ?

High uses of electric - immersion (you don't use it). storage heaters (you don't have any). Does she have an electric shower ?
    Thanks for your reply. I got it the wrong way round, yes we are reading the smart meter. I will 'assimilate' the info. you've provided. We have a way forward and know what to do next. All the best
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    What is hot ? A matter of personal judgement - my MIL's is at 23 as she is bedridden; my own at 19 because I like to be warm

Warm? Frozen more like ;-)

I like the thermometor on my windowcil to be in the high 20s/early 30s. (I know it's not a great measure of musch but it's what i look at!)

Today it says 27. Bit cold for me. I do not have the heating on though. I think the read is a bit high from the sun though the window though rather than the general temperature (27 would be fine if it meant the house temperature)!
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    Janeybo wrote: »
    BiggusDickus, are you sure you haven't just stated the obvious re. struggling. Isn't that why people come on forums, to learn and understand from people who know more! I only found out yesterday, so I'm doing pretty well. Much of this is technical, which can be learnt. A good phrase for you would be - you cannot know what you don't know.

Having said that you are wrong, I'm not having trouble assimilating the advice here, I know exactly the next steps, more like I'm collecting info. and of course I have other people - brother, husband, sister on board.

I have noticed on forums - any for that matter, at some point someone does start to make personal comments or like previous people who get upset by the mention of oap's or use language such as libel.

When people say - don't take this personal, they know that they are crossing a boundary, that perhaps doesn't need crossing. It's a bit risky - a bit of advice - don't go there, you are making assumption. I wonder why this occurs?! I have my theories, I'm a psychoterapist - but lets not go there!
    Oh, see, you’ve gone and taken it all personally! :D

It’s patently obvious that you are not technically astute in these areas,... but of course you can learn.

However, ‘learning’ to any sort of competent level takes a little time and you can do that at your leisure if you so wish.

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that you are trying to sort your mums problems as soon as possible before the onset of winter.

I was merely suggesting that there are other supplementary ways to seek help that could compliment the advice you’ve already received on here, which in turn will probably expedite the issues.

I wasn’t aware that you already have your brother, husband, sister on board with this problem;...how could I have known that? The only things that I, or anyone else on this thread, know about you is what you’ve posted.

Sorry if that upset you. Just trying to be helpful, not personal!

I’ve no idea what the oap and libel thing is all about by the way, but I’ll leave you with it. Good luck. :)
  • Janeybo
    Options
    Oh, see, you’ve gone and taken it all personally! :D

It’s patently obvious that you are not technically astute in these areas,... but of course you can learn.

However, ‘learning’ to any sort of competent level takes a little time and you can do that at your leisure if you so wish.

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that you are trying to sort your mums problems as soon as possible before the onset of winter.

I was merely suggesting that there are other supplementary ways to seek help that could compliment the advice you’ve already received on here, which in turn will probably expedite the issues.

I wasn’t aware that you already have your brother, husband, sister on board with this problem;...how could I have known that? The only things that I, or anyone else on this thread, know about you is what you’ve posted.

Sorry if that upset you. Just trying to be helpful, not personal!

I’ve no idea what the oap and libel thing is all about by the way, but I’ll leave you with it. Good luck. :)
    You do seem to have missed the points raised - but nevermind. I think what you are saying is stop being on here 'you can do that at your leisure if you so wish'. Not your decision. People are responding and being helpful, so I like to reply.
    I'll leave that with you. Good luck and goodbye
  • Janeybo
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Warm? Frozen more like ;-)

I like the thermometor on my windowcil to be in the high 20s/early 30s. (I know it's not a great measure of musch but it's what i look at!)

Today it says 27. Bit cold for me. I do not have the heating on though. I think the read is a bit high from the sun though the window though rather than the general temperature (27 would be fine if it meant the house temperature)!
    Yes! I think I'm more 27 degrees, my mum probably as well.
  • Janeybo
    Options
    Janeybo, please don’t take this as a personal criticism but I think you are probably struggling with the technicalities of your mothers billing/usage issues and also assimilating the advice that’s been offered on this forum.

I fully appreciate that even low-level ‘technical stuff/jargon’ can be difficult to get your head around if it’s not your thing so to speak, but you really need to understand just what is causing your mums inordinate electricity usage.

Just a suggestion;...do you have a friend, neighbour or relative who could perhaps lend a hand? ....two heads are better than one as they say.:)
    I'm so sorry Biggusdickus, I've just been collecting posts and only just seen that you are a 'Newbie'! I hadn't noticed that. Please accept my apologies, you are learning and this forum reminds us to give you a chance. Good luck with honing your communication skills and i hope future posts go a little better for you.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    Janeybo wrote: »
    I'm so sorry Biggusdickus, I've just been collecting posts and only just seen that you are a 'Newbie'! I hadn't noticed that. Please accept my apologies, you are learning and this forum reminds us to give you a chance. Good luck with honing your communication skills and i hope future posts go a little better for you.
    Janeybo, you're doing yourself no favours. Your vitriol just oozes from the page and no doubt it's also very apparent to everyone else on this thread who has freely given their time and effort in an honest attempt to help you with the issue raised in your thread starter,... and subsequent further complications.

However, many thanks for your apology,...it’s appreciated and accepted.

I genuinely hope your mums issues are sorted promptly and successfully,..that’s the main thing. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure