British Gas overcharging?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP - up until April 2016, BG only had to read the meter once every 5 years. Like all suppliers, they are now required to obtain a meter reading once every 12 months. I am sure that you have thought of this already: a smart meter may be a sensible way forward. If your Mother rules that out, she needs to be registered on the Priority Services Register.

The risk of basing annual consumption on property size is that it is a generic/average calculation. Unless frequent meter readings are provided, then the supplier will revert to estimates. This could lead to another situation where your Mother sees a massive hike in her DD payment when a meter reading is finally taken.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2018 at 1:36PM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    OP - up until April 2016, BG only had to read the meter once every 5 years. Like all suppliers, they are now required to obtain a meter reading once every 12 months. I am sure that you have thought of this already: a smart meter may be a sensible way forward. If your Mother rules that out, she needs to be registered on the Priority Services Register.

The risk of basing annual consumption on property size is that it is a generic/average calculation. Unless frequent meter readings are provided, then the supplier will revert to estimates. This could lead to another situation where your Mother sees a massive hike in her DD payment when a meter reading is finally taken.
    5 years is the max BG will usually go and that would be for smart meters but credit to BG who stick to their core values of sending meter readers around for quarterly meter readings .This would normally be for the more elderly/vulnerable customers who have indicated they want this service.
    Probably one of the main reasons that BG have a loyal following. Their Standard/variable rates are on a par with the rest of the big 6 and not excessively expensive and I see they have a fixed tariff deal up there with the cheapest of the"here today gone tomorrow " (with your money ) one man bands operating out of a small unit on an Ind estate.
    Their smart meter only tariff is also not too bad but you have to agree to have them fitted in the following year sometime.
    OP, do not expect Avron to grace your mothers doorstep very often or at all. If she is used to BG coming fairly often then this will stop so maybe its a good idea for you to get at least readings every quarter just to make sure Avron don`t get a chance to mess it up. These cheap suppliers need to be watched and managed
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    5 years is the max BG will usually go and that would be for smart meters but credit to BG who stick to their core values of sending meter readers around for quarterly meter readings .This would normally be for the more elderly/vulnerable customers who have indicated they want this service.
    Probably one of the main reasons that BG have a loyal following. Their Standard/variable rates are on a par with the rest of the big 6 and not excessively expensive and I see they have a fixed tariff deal up there with the cheapest of the"here today gone tomorrow " (with your money ) one man bands operating out of a small unit on an Ind estate.
    Their smart meter only tariff is also not too bad but you have to agree to have them fitted in the following year sometime.
    OP, do not expect Avron to grace your mothers doorstep very often or at all. If she is used to BG coming fairly often then this will stop so maybe its a good idea for you to get at least readings every quarter just to make sure Avron don`t get a chance to mess it up. These cheap suppliers need to be watched and managed

You seem to have some kind of unjustified dislike of small energy companies so it's worth pointing out that you are protected if an energy supplier goes out of business and you certainly won't lose any money.

The only reason companies like British Gas have a "loyal" following is because they are an established company and people are generally resistant to change. But since the increase in popularity of comparison sites people are seeing sense and switching to save money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    You seem to have some kind of unjustified dislike of small energy companies so it's worth pointing out that you are protected if an energy supplier goes out of business and you certainly won't lose any money.

The only reason companies like British Gas have a "loyal" following is because they are an established company and people are generally resistant to change. But since the increase in popularity of comparison sites people are seeing sense and switching to save money.
    No mate, I love them !, I have been using them on and off for the last few years with no problem myself but they need watching like a hawk. You have to make sure to get the basics correct to give yourself half a chance at least of not giving them any cause for you to have to deal personally.
    They are not like BG with thousands of employees and multiple call centres who will answer the phone in a couple of minutes. People new to constant switching have to manage the account.None of this meter reading once every two years nonsense, or relying on teams of expensive to employ meter readers knocking on doors.
    Many of them have half a dozen employees (Eversmart, the late lamented Iresa etc ) so I advised the OP acting on behalf of her Mum to be aware because Avron won t show their faces most likely in 2 years.
    I have advised a few friends for a few years who all switched from top price SVT, firstly with Iresa Energy, ( lousy reviews, cheapest rates ) who went bust but so far the transfer, albeit slow to firstly Octopus and then Eversmart has all gone through OK
  • Janeybo
    Janeybo Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I'm working and struggling to keep up with replying individually. I've just asked her for a meter reading!! seemed like a good idea and Avro will ask me for one after a month.

Gas - 19/9/18 opening reading 05292, current 17/10/18 05414
    Rate 3.2813 per unit, Standing order 18.9p per day
    Amount used 122
    £45.58?

Elec - 19/9/18 opening reading 05199, current 17/10/18 05938
    Rate 13.6343 per unit, Standing order 18.9p per day
    Amount used 739
    £106.18?

Total for 29 days £151.66, I hate to ask, but is that about right, hoping my maths is not letting me down!?

And I suppose it's not very cold yet, although she does of course have the heating on now.
    Somebody mention Standard Tariff BG, Gas Unit rate
    4.16p per kWh Standing charge 26.01p per day[2], Elec Unit rate
    17.06p per kWh Standing charge 26.01p per day[2].
    Total £185.90, if this is her's which I bet it is.

She's still been paying more, but I think panic over, the difference for this time of year isn't that big, of course if I've done the maths right. The average of £250 per month BG is probably to cover winter. I should have just asked her for the meter reading first! But I don't like to worry her with stuff, I'm so protective of her, and she is getting more confused and anxious over things, I think it's contagious! thanks for everyone's help ...... unless I've got all of this wrong.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Janeybo wrote: »

Gas - 19/9/18 opening reading 05292, current 17/10/18 05414
    Rate 3.2813 per unit, Standing order 18.9p per day
    Amount used 122
    £45.58?

And I suppose it's not very cold yet, although she does of course have the heating on now.

She's still been paying more, but I think panic over, the difference for this time of year isn't that big, of course if I've done the maths right. The average of £250 per month BG is probably to cover winter. I should have just asked her for the meter reading first! But I don't like to worry her with stuff, I'm so protective of her, and she is getting more confused and anxious over things, I think it's contagious! thanks for everyone's help ...... unless I've got all of this wrong.

122 is the number of cu m - not kwh. You need to multiply by approx 11 which gives 1342 kwh @ 3.2813 = £44.03 plus s/c £5.48 both plus VAT = £51.98.

The elec does look high.

I've been reading my MIL's meters today - both are under the stairs and very difficult to read. She's 97 and I've been looking after her utilities for years. Bed ridden , heating full on 24hrs and lots of coming and going with carers.

She's on track for 2500 kwh of gas and 300 kwh of elec. in the month of October.

By mid winter the gas will be nearer 4000 kwh and the elec 350 kwh.

Your Avro quote of £88 still looks very suspicious to me.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Janeybo
    Janeybo Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    122 is the number of cu m - not kwh. You need to multiply by approx 11 which gives 1342 kwh @ 3.2813 = £44.03 plus s/c £5.48 both plus VAT = £51.98.

The elec does look high.

I've been reading my MIL's meters today - both are under the stairs and very difficult to read. She's 97 and I've been looking after her utilities for years. Bed ridden , heating full on 24hrs and lots of coming and going with carers.

She's on track for 2500 kwh of gas and 300 kwh of elec. in the month of October.

By mid winter the gas will be nearer 4000 kwh and the elec 350 kwh.

Your Avro quote of £88 still looks very suspicious to me.
    Thank you Robin9, I will remember that in future calculations.

Gosh that is a lot of energy used, but like you say they do feel the cold more, and the heating has to be on.

I'm not even sure now where I saw the £88, but it cannot be right, even just for the month, her direct debit at £236 to them is high at the moment, maybe they will adjust it. Either way I'll keep an eye on it as I don't like them building up credit in their account. Thanks for your help with this.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your Mums electricity usage is extremely high, its a lot higher than the gas usage. Is she using a couple of electric fires around the house as well as the GCH
    At around 9600 kwhs annual usage based on her 739 khrs for 28 days
    Is the meter being read correctly ? There are still plenty of old electric dial meters around ( 6 little rotating dials ) which are so easy to get wrong.
    The national average is 3200 kwhs a year.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My MIL used to have horrendous energy bills.

She would wind the room stat up to around 30 degrees. I would turn it down to around 25 and she would re-tweak it when I'd gone.

She would also have a two bar electric fire flogging away all day and evening in her living room - even in the summer (the central heating stat was in the hall so not really affected by the fire)

She'd have the patio door open a foot or so so her dog could wander in and out.

She was quite happy to pay for it and I couldn't persuade her to change either her suppliers or her habits however much I tried.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If my energy DD was under £100 I would think we've had a year long heat wave. If the £250 is correct, which honestly it may well be, think very carefully before you start persuading her to turn down the heating. I am retired but somewhat younger than she is but when my energy bill started creeping up, I thought turn the thermostat down. It was a big health type mistake, because for a very small saving I found myself huddled under a blanket with a hot water bottle instead of up & doing. Much better for both her physical (yes and mental) health to be warm & as active as possible. It never occured to me when I was younger that being warm could have such a signifacant effect on a persons wellbeing even though I have always felt the cold.

So yes make sure the immersion heater isn't on 24hours a day, bright but lower usage light bulbs are in place, even newer model TV, washing machine, fridge & freezer to reduce usage but not reduce the heating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure