TV Licences- is this right

Options
Daughter recently moved into new house, never had a licence before.

Set up a d/d but does not understand why she has to pay so much.

She paid £27.10 & has another 4 payments to come out last one in march 2008-Total £135.50.

Then from April pays 1 payment of £11.31 then £11.29 until further notice.

She has worked it out that in the 12 months from october to september she would have paid £203.23.:eek:

Have they got it wrong or is it me
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think she has to pay the higher amount until she has paid the full amount for a TV Licence, then you pay 6 months in front then 6 Months in arrears if I remember right
  • brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    Options
    Spot on. 1st licence gets paid in 6 months but runs for a year. Half way through the 1st one you start paying for the 2nd one (but that's over 12 months, rather than 6).

I dunno why, but it is how they do it. :confused:
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    Spot on. 1st licence gets paid in 6 months but runs for a year. Half way through the 1st one you start paying for the 2nd one (but that's over 12 months, rather than 6).

I dunno why, but it is how they do it. :confused:
    More interest in their account not yours!:mad:
  • JayTee99_2
    Options
    Wow, really glad now that i didn't set up a DD with them.

i have a number of DDs with utils, broadband etc., but was so unhappy they removed one form of payment, i.e. through the Post Office, that i resolved not to set one up with them. Paying via the Post Office was convenient for a large number of people and also brought extra business; much needed in these times of closing Post Offices.

Now, when the bill comes in, i pay online with a visa card. This puts me back in charge of my payments. True, you need to fork out a large sum when the bill comes in, but at least they aren't holding my money several months in advance; i really wouldn't be happy with that.

As this is only an annual payment, not monthly, i don't think any problems should arise from using a card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure