Heating Options

We're considering buying a property to rent out that has only electricity - there is no gas to the whole area. We want to be fair landlords but obviously, have a budget because there is a ceiling on the rental amount. Currently, there are night storage heaters that are quite old but do work.
What would you advise is the best form of electric heating to keep a tenant happy as well as our budget? The only E7 heaters I've seen new are about £750 each, would they be any better than the old existing ones? For the price of one of those, we could install one heat exchange unit to cool and heat that is cheaper to run.
Thanks if you can throw us your thoughts.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In my book, those properties are the most desirable for rental. (No gas certificate and no s21 nonsense.)

I have a number of them, and keep the rent about £50 per month less than similar ones with central heating. Tenants seem to think this is fair, as I have no trouble letting them.

I suggest you do the same. Forget about putting in fancy electronic ones which will be hard to repair. I repair mine easily with basic electrical knowledge.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    treecol wrote: »
    Currently, there are night storage heaters that are quite old but do work.

The only E7 heaters I've seen new are about £750 each, would they be any better than the old existing ones?

The only advantage of newer night storage heaters is that they are reputed to be better at retaining the heat and not 'leak' as much heat during the day.
  • The newer 'smart' storage heaters aim to 'waste' less heat by more closely matching electricity input to heat demand. They usually do this by some reduction in stored off-peak energy and increase in on-demand peak rate electricity. I'm not convinced they will produce significantly cheaper bills especially considering the higher purchase price.

If your existing storage heaters are in good condition I wouldn't replace them. Do look at insulation though, and make sure the hot water tank and pipes are well lagged.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Beware of manufacturer's claims for heat saving products. I have also seen claims that certain types of electrical heaters can raise the EPC of a property. Having just had a lengthy exchange with the Buildings Research Establishment (the organization responsible for the EPC Database that assessors use) about smart heating controls, the bottomline is this:

Manufacturers are required to produce ErP labels for all their products through self certification. These certificates are lodged with the Office for Safety and Standards within the BEIS. For EPC purposes, ErP certification is ignored. Products will only be listed as energy saving for EPC purposes if they have been independently assessed by the BRE.

In sum, before choosing heating for a rental property that has an EPC of F or lower, it is probably worth asking whether the products you have in mind are listed on the EPC database. If they are not, then they are treated generically.

Finally, to put this into context. Honeywell Evohome has manufacturer's claimed savings of up to 40%. With an Opentherm to boiler bridge it is treated under ErP as having a savings of 5%. However, it would appear that Honeywell does not submit its products to the BRE for assessment so, for EPC purposes, it is treated as nothing more than dual zone with a saving of 1%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure