Santander 123 still best savings account ?

Options

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 October 2018 at 4:12PM
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    How do I change my 123 to a lite ? there is no way to do this. As Marcus state that the bank account given upon application is the only linked account allowed, that would mean changing to a lite with a different account number would deem it impossible to move money unless in my current 123 account.
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Tick the boxes on this linked page (below) and click Transfer Now - and then fill in the account you're transferring... (haven't actually tried it but it looks like it should work)

https://www.santander.co.uk/info/current-accounts/123-lite-current-account/transfer-terms-and-conditions

Post #23. 'Is it half term still?' Or what?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are forgetting you have to pay a minimum of £500 a month into the account.

No. Your point has no relevance whatsoever.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    Simple solution adopted here on changing to low-balance Lite account.

Set up overdraft to cover the maximum daily outflow that will occur.

Set up Text Alerts to tell me when I am about to slip into overdraft charges.

True but I'm still going to use my Lloyds Club and switch my 123 ac.
    Santander doesn't offer what it once did and Im happy to move on:)
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You are forgetting you have to pay a minimum of £500 a month into the account.
    You can transfer £500 in from your Marcus account or anywhere else if you have other accounts and then just transfer it back . This will satisfy the 123 requirement.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    True but I'm still going to use my Lloyds Club and switch my 123 ac.
    Santander doesn't offer what it once did and Im happy to move on:)

That's fine - but you flagged an issue which all of us lite-eners have faced - the fall-out from moving from a fully-funded 123 to a sparsely funded 123 lite.

... and I addressed that issue head-on :)
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I made a payment of £500 from my Natwest account to Marcus. I had no money showing in the Marcus account. They emailed me saying they refunded the money as payment was not made from my chosen bank (Santander) that was on the 21st and still no money showing in my Natwest account or Marcus. This worries me a lot
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I made a payment of £500 from my Natwest account to Marcus. I had no money showing in the Marcus account. They emailed me saying they refunded the money as payment was not made from my chosen bank (Santander) that was on the 21st and still no money showing in my Natwest account or Marcus. This worries me a lot
    The advice generally given, and followed, on these boards is to send a small test payment first, to both check the conduit and the timings. You were very brave to send £500 when you hadn't even read or understood the T&Cs, namely all payments must come from your linked account.

That aside, presumably you've contacted them several times since the 21st? What's their response been?
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got confused. They credited me the money back before it was deducted which looked like I was £500 better off.
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking to close santander account with monthly interest and charge due 12th november. Am i best waiting till just after 12th? Or if i close now i guess i will get interest to date of closure and will charge be pro rata?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    philng wrote: »
    Looking to close santander account with monthly interest and charge due 12th november. Am i best waiting till just after 12th? Or if i close now i guess i will get interest to date of closure and will charge be pro rata?
    Experience suggests interest will be paid up to the date of transfer/closure with the final £5 fee not charged provided the date is in advance of the due date.

I.e. best to do it now or very soon. ;)

Also, are you sure you want to close the account rather than downgrading to Lite (for cashback/RS eligibility) or Everyday (to use for future switching and/or upgrading if the 123 interest rate is increased)?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport