Plumbing and Drainage Cover - Homeserve

in Water bills
7 replies 6.9K views
Is it actually worth having this? We have just got a letter from our local Water company saying that our free 3 months trial has come to an end, and we can sign up if we want to.

Is it like any other insurance where if you put a claim in they find all sorts of ways to get out of paying up?

Replies

• Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Probably loobie, best to insure yourself. Create an emergency fund , an instant ISA for example, the interest would then be tax free.
  • lapatlapat Forumite
    816 Posts
    loobie wrote: »
    Is it actually worth having this? We have just got a letter from our local Water company saying that our free 3 months trial has come to an end, and we can sign up if we want to.

Is it like any other insurance where if you put a claim in they find all sorts of ways to get out of paying up?

tip on this one dont renew at the £70 plus that they have quoted you
    wait a couple of months and they willl send you another letter doing it for a reduced priced of 20 odd pounds. i do it every year with them and yes it is worth the cover. and no they dont wriggle out of it.

another tip is that the water/sewage companies will carry out repairs if your house is pre 1930's
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Be careful alot of water companys offer a free one off repair if you have a leak so it may be money wasted.

Swinton do similar cover but it also includes your heating , gas , electricity etc etc., its £59 a year but if you ring up they will offer 25% off, they did with me.

http://www.swinton.co.uk/home/home_emergency/
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Got my Swinton reminder this morning...local branch £34.50...guff reads a trademan there within 24 hrs or refund...and only emergency cover. I rather think in an emergency I would want instant help, advice certainly , which knob to turn which switch to switch orf whatever.
    Probably worth it.
  • dora37dora37 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    deanos wrote: »
    Be careful alot of water companys offer a free one off repair if you have a leak so it may be money wasted.

But these free repairs are not done on an emergency basis whereas Homeserve would cover emergencies.
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Yes they can be on emergency , depends on the type of leak you have
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    my yearly payment is under £20
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides