Waitrose to deliver groceries while you're out - MSE News

13»

Replies

• walesrobwalesrob Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    He said I am employed as a delivery driver and not an unpacker and he is not even allowed inside my house as Tesco insurance doesnt cover them for any damage caused.

He's telling you porkies.

They are allowed inside your house as all Tesco drivers undergo a mandatory character reference check, meaning they are permitted to bring shopping into the kitchen, its no secret, and the adverts for home delivery state this. Tesco public liability insurance DOES cover for any damage caused by delivery drivers. All Tesco deliveries are base timed at 6 minutes each plus 60 seconds for any extra crate above 5. I've never heard of a run of 21 drops, as far as I am aware, delivery runs are capped at 15.

Iceland Home Delivery drivers are not checked, so are only allowed to doorstep, and no further. Possibly the same for Asda, I've heard from numerous ex-Asda customers who say the drivers always deliver to doorstep or communal hall.
  • Callie22Callie22 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    alanq wrote: »
    Apart from security concerns there are other reasons that someone may be required to receive deliveries.

e.g. items that must be delivered to someone above a certain age or the chance to reject substituted or damaged goods.

That's a good point, I'd imagine that there'll be quite a few things that you couldn't order using this service.
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my Tesco delivery drivers (and there's about 6 that I get to see in rotation) offer to carry the crates into my kitchen, and then set about unpacking onto worktops with me. They always have done this. They are still in-and-out in about 4 minutes.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a stupid idea.

Waitrose seem to be losing the plot.
  • alanqalanq Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    He said I am employed as a delivery driver and not an unpacker and he is not even allowed inside my house as Tesco insurance doesnt cover them for any damage caused.

That doesn't tally with Tesco's Ts&Cs. There is no general ban but on the other hand drivers are not obliged to deliver inside the home.

"We will deliver your order to the main entrance of the delivery address. At your request, our driver may carry your order into the delivery address, for example, to a particular floor in an apartment block or into your kitchen but only if: a. the driver has your permission and b. our driver believes that it is safe and practical to do as you request. We always reserve the right to deliver only to the main entrance of the delivery address."

See under Delivery
    https://www.tesco.com/help/terms-and-conditions/grocery/
  • sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alanq wrote: »
    That doesn't tally with Tesco's Ts&Cs. There is no general ban but on the other hand drivers are not obliged to deliver inside the home.

"We will deliver your order to the main entrance of the delivery address. At your request, our driver may carry your order into the delivery address, for example, to a particular floor in an apartment block or into your kitchen but only if: a. the driver has your permission and b. our driver believes that it is safe and practical to do as you request. We always reserve the right to deliver only to the main entrance of the delivery address."

See under Delivery
    https://www.tesco.com/help/terms-and-conditions/grocery/

Yes, I asked the driver and he said its down to their discretion and most of them from the branch that I get mine from have agreed that they wont do it as their loads are getting too much (over 15) and they don't have time but they are telling people its for insurance as they are less likely to get questioned,

I don't blame them to be honest, If I was employed as a delivery driver I would be just that. Deliver to the front door and wait for the customer to put bags inside their door and then pick up the crates and go which is what I have always had done. (I do appreciate though that some people do need extra help) In a totally different area, I tried to get Tesco to deliver to my granddad as I thought it would be easier for him for heavier items and they did the same, stood by his front door for him to pick it up out of the crates.

I have Asda, Ocado and Tesco deliver to me and not one has ever taken my groceries inside.

Anyway, getting back on subject and not straying from topic, I wouldn't allow Waitrose to deliver to me when I am not at home. With hour slots, there must be a point that people can be home to wait for the delivery.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS