Waitrose to deliver groceries while you're out - MSE News

Options
Waitrose is trialling a service where delivery drivers will be able to put customers' shopping in their kitchens - while they are out...
Read the full story:
'Waitrose to deliver groceries while you're out'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't imagine many drivers being happy with the responsibility of being given free rein of somebody's empty home. How can they be sure that the odd "customer" won't see this as a golden opportunity to claim something is missing? Sure as eggs is eggs there will be those who will.

On the other side of the coin, how will Waitrose ensure their drivers can be trusted. They will have to cover any claims for losses or damage as the customers' insurers certainly won't.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,935 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I can't imagine many drivers being happy with the responsibility of being given free rein of somebody's empty home. How can they be sure that the odd "customer" won't see this as a golden opportunity to claim something is missing? Sure as eggs is eggs there will be those who will.

On the other side of the coin, how will Waitrose ensure their drivers can be trusted. They will have to cover any claims for losses or damage as the customers' insurers certainly won't.

They will be wearing cameras which is what they do in the US according to the paper.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, if I were a Waitrose driver, I'd be saying thanks, but no thanks. Their job is stressful enough. Can you imagine? Your driver let my cat out, your driver didn't close the gate, your driver didn't wipe his feet, your driver didn't close the door between the kitchen and the hall.

Not only has the driver to contend with rushing to meet delivery times through London traffic, every move they make will be recorded. Dreadful.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How will you house insurance company react to this scenario I wonder ???
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Won't make a difference for many Waitrose customers. Just let the butler sort out the shopping.:p
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ben501 wrote: »
    Won't make a difference for many Waitrose customers. Just let the butler sort out the shopping.:p

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »

That is why it's a trial. I'm guessing they'll take their best and worst experiences and create some strict criteria should it be rolled out nationally. It would amaze me if further perks weren't offered to "premier" customers, and suddenly it will become mainstream.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was watching a YouTube documentary the other day about families in the US, which was filmed in the early 70s. There was one scene where the family were out but the local supermarket delivered their groceries, and put the fresh and frozen stuff away in the refrigerator and freezer. So this isn't a new idea at all but given that it seems to have died a death you do wonder whether people would actually like this, even with the added security (I think in the documentary the kitchen door was just left unlocked for the delivery, which was one of the things that surprised me the most).
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    They will be wearing cameras which is what they do in the US according to the paper.

How does that stop crooked drivers admitting accomplices? While they are recording themselves filling the fridge someone else could be up to no good.
  • walesrob
    walesrob Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Wow are people so time poor that they can't even be at the house when the shopping arrives? Not even a 1 hour slot?

I'm a home delivery driver myself, and I oppose this 100%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure