Waitrose to deliver groceries while you're out - MSE News

Replies

• sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alanq wrote: »
    How does that stop crooked drivers admitting accomplices? While they are recording themselves filling the fridge someone else could be up to no good.
    Very true!
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me unreasonable if you wish, but I would not want a stranger entering my home when I was not there, regardless of how many cameras he had on him. I suspect it to be a moneymaking scheme on the part of the company supplying the door lock system.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • edited 6 October 2018 at 4:36PM
    BacmanBacman Forumite
    484 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 6 October 2018 at 4:36PM
    Only a complete idiot would allow a stranger to enter their home without someone trusted being present at the time, let alone giving the delivery driver the keys to your property or putting them somewhere for them to use. Crazy. This is such a bad idea on every level it is beyond belief. You may as well leave your front door open during the day and have a large arrow pointing at it saying "i'm out to work today, if the door is locked i've left the keys under the mat".
  • Zero_SumZero_Sum Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt use this service in a million years. Apart from the security issues, they'll put things in the wrong place causing me more work having to correct everything
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    I wouldnt use this service in a million years. Apart from the security issues, they'll put things in the wrong place causing me more work having to correct everything
    Irrationally, this would be my greater concern too. I don't like anyone messing with my kitchen!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Tesco delivery generally comes in four crates. The driver stacks the crates by my front door, rings doorbell, I open door, he carries them in to my kitchen one at a time whilst I watch the open door, I close the door after the fourth crate and then we unpack.

So say this Waitrose driver arrives, stacks the crates by my front door, and opens the door himself. He carries the first crate through to the kitchen, leaving the front door open because he knows he has to go back for the second. While his back is turned doing this, some unscrupulous individual comes through the open front door and dashes upstairs/to another room. Meanwhile the oblivious Waitrose driver returns to the front door for the second crate ....

Yep. Like I'm going to give unrestricted access to my house. My insurance company would love that.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • edited 7 October 2018 at 10:31AM
    QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 October 2018 at 10:31AM
    I don't care how honest and upright a delivery driver is, I would never EVER have a stranger come in while I'm out and sort out the groceries for me and poke around in the kitchen.

As others have said, what might be going on out of sight of the camera? What guarantee that a crooked driver will not give details of the house etc to his/her crooked friends? What if some damage occurs? And so on.

Speaking strictly for myself, I do not order groceries online, or indeed any goods of any sort, and will never do so if I can at all help it. Call me old fashioned, but I like to see what I'm buying before I choose it.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    For years our next door neighbour in a large posh house always gave the keys to a variety of tradesmen & then went on holiday !!
    Not for me..........
    Anybody in my house is watched like a hawk always all the time.
  • edited 7 October 2018 at 2:19PM
    alanqalanq Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 October 2018 at 2:19PM
    Apart from security concerns there are other reasons that someone may be required to receive deliveries.

e.g. items that must be delivered to someone above a certain age or the chance to reject substituted or damaged goods.
  • sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Tesco delivery generally comes in four crates. The driver stacks the crates by my front door, rings doorbell, I open door, he carries them in to my kitchen one at a time whilst I watch the open door, I close the door after the fourth crate and then we unpack.

I asked my Tesco driver about this and he said 'we get 4 minutes per delivery, this morning I have got 21 deliveries and people think we are going to wait for them to unpack'!

He said I am employed as a delivery driver and not an unpacker and he is not even allowed inside my house as Tesco insurance doesnt cover them for any damage caused.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides