edited 4 October 2018 at 9:34PM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
137 replies 12.5K views

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    homeless9 wrote: »
    In Plymouth they are building the 'next Poundbury', called Sherford. I love these developments. I love the fact that some people care about how homes, villages, towns, look.
    Yes, some good overall planning and careful integration into the existing infrastructure is all good and I'm in favour.

Unfortunately, my wife & I aren't great fans of Poundbury's architecture. We've always referred to it as 'Trumpton!' :o
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • Crashy_TimeCrashy_Time Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hazyjo wrote: »
    277 properties to rent in Maidstone on RM alone. 71 of those are under £700pcm.

Must say, he seems like a charming bloke... Not sure I'd be quoting him, but hey ho.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/seven-most-cringeworthy-things-kent-748227

Maybe they can't afford the rent because of his price increases...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/12/fergus-wilson-rent-rise-property-kent-Maidstone

OP by all means consider Kent, but the nice bits are pricey. Cheap Kent is generally cheap for a reason.

My point was that there are going to be a lot of ex-BTL`s hitting the market (not all in poor areas) because the tax changes and people going home are going to affect this particular business. This will be happening all over the country not just Kent, but areas like Kent are probably pretty densely occupied by transient people who could move at the drop of a hat (like the plumber in the link. Loved the bit about the resignation phone call from the ferry en-route to another job :rotfl: )
  • I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/74318711

This is a gorgeous house within budget. Area is ok. Not terrible but not great. Could get a nicer area in the NW but would be a smaller 2/3bed semi. Personally I can't stand new builds. But each to their own.
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Like all reasonably sized cities, it has good and rough areas, but with rather more of the rough than the other city in Devon, Exeter. The dockland/naval services areas are probably best avoided.

Being about an hour further from most other places than Exeter, it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.

Nice countryside all around and (I'll say it quietly) Cornish coves and beaches aren't far either!

Edit: Dampish but warmer than 'Oop norf ' in the winter.

I agree completely with this post. I'm not a great fan of Plymouth, there are some rundown areas. It's close to Dartmoor which is lovely and they hold the World Fireworks Championships in August. We only went once and it rained like you wouldn't believe:rotfl:
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, some good overall planning and careful integration into the existing infrastructure is all good and I'm in favour.

Unfortunately, my wife & I aren't great fans of Poundbury's architecture. We've always referred to it as 'Trumpton!' :o

I find Poundbury a bit surreal. I think it's the sort of place you would love or hate. It does have a small Waitrose in the centre and it can be expensive.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/74318711
    52 photos!!!! :eek: Jeez, talk about 'a tad too many'! EA thinks he's bleedin' David Bailey :rotfl:
    2020 wins: nada (yet)
  • edited 17 October 2018 at 11:38AM
    mai_taylormai_taylor Forumite
    220 posts
    edited 17 October 2018 at 11:38AM
    Droitwich is a really nice pretty town with quite a bit going on, it has a few shops, plenty of places to eat and drink and a couple of gyms. There's quite a few events throughout the year. It's 10 minutes drive into Worcester and has a train station with a 20 minute direct train to Birmingham. You can get a three bed detached in your budget but it would probably need a bit of work or you could easily get a nice 2 bed. I'm 33 and love living in Worcestershire.
  • homeless9homeless9 Forumite
    288 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Each to their own. I don't know how anyone can not like Poundbury and its architecture, especially in comparison to the average UK town, Poundbury is much more beautiful.

For a newly built town it's probably as good as you are going to get. I'm not sure what styles of housing you could build that would be that much better, without going over the top on spending, and that would be in-keeping with looking British. The typical average UK homes that I see getting built are pretty drab. The typical UK town is drab, and any good architecture will often have had several concrete atrocities built nearby.
  • edited 17 October 2018 at 4:39PM
    AlexMacAlexMac Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 October 2018 at 4:39PM
    I'm impressed that you're still reading after 100 replies (I've not read 'em, so this may repeat), but our kids moved to the Isle of Wight where property is amazingly cheap because of low wages and cost of commuting to the mainland.

Excellent environment and good public transport bus network, and the climate's better than most of the UK. Some educational under-attainment; but not quite as bad as the ill-advised "under-achieving inbred ghetto" crack that forced the Chair of OFSTED to resign in 2016.
    https://onthewight.com/ofsted-chairman-says-isle-of-wight-inbred-poor-white-ghetto/

Not bad for visitors from your old manor of Guildford, 30 -odd miles up the A3 if they can get cheap crossings on vouchers etc?

And as you're already thinking Dorset; look at Bridport. A bit dearer and not brilliant transport, but a charming town; where else do you get an annual Hat Festival? https://www.facebook.com/BridportHatFestival/