robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    withdraw the money...... you only paypal for withdrawing if under £50
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    don't post to any address other than the registered paypal address.
    ask him to confirm his details in a friendly email, also ask for his home phone number as he's a new user
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • IM
    IM Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    aliasojo wrote:
    I think you'd have a cheek if you didn't send the item out pronto.

I guess you're right.

I think I'll have to take the chance on this one...

I may put a caveat on future sales though, to reserve the right to wait for clearance of funds for buyers with poor/minimal feedback - at least that way it's clear up front.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a thought......but doesn't the fact that a buyer uses Paypal mean that the funds are immediate, ie 'cleared' already?

You would have to be clear on your wording to maybe avoid any misunderstanding and a repeat of the concerns you had with this sale?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bleugh wrote:
    Ask for his home phone number as he's a new user

Hhhhmmmm ...... I know exactly what my response would be to a request to supply my home phone number ...... and it would end in "off" :p

IMHO the seller has no right whatsoever to now start dictating auction conditions after the event simply because they failed to think things through prior to listing.
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,315 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IM wrote:
    I guess you're right.

I think I'll have to take the chance on this one...

I may put a caveat on future sales though, to reserve the right to wait for clearance of funds for buyers with poor/minimal feedback - at least that way it's clear up front.

Like aliasojo says saying you will wait for clearance only really covers cheques. With paypal the buyer has the right to expect their item within a few days of making payment, it is cleared when it hits your paypal account. Waiting for the payment to hit your bank account can take days, as we have just had a bank holiday it can delay payments for well over a week, maybeas much as ten days, and that leaves you open to a chargeback from the buyer for non receipt.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • appleblossom
    appleblossom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options
    when I pay for something by paypal, I expect the item to be posted within the next day or so - hence why I make an immediate payment - I would be very hacked off if I bought something and was then told the seller would wait til the money was in his bank account before it was posted - why don't you just do bank tranx if you're that worried? eitehr that, or just state that less than 5 feedback (or whatever) bids will be retracted? - just one thing though - what feedback score did you have when you first started using ebay? and did anyone refuse to sell you anything? sorry, I know there are concerns with newbies, but we all started with 0.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure