Caveat fraud

Options
I have a probate application pending which has gone on for 18 months now due to someone applying a caveat. He has since applied two further caveats in different names from the same address and has not put in an appearance to any warnings, simply applied the further caveats in response using various family members names. I now have evidence that the named person on the last caveat does not live at the address and has no knowledge of the caveat whatsoever, I contacted the probate registry to try to arrange a meeting to discuss this but they don't want to know, simply repeating "anyone over the age of 18 can apply a caveat"??
if they won't help then who can. I must mention that it has already cost me over £4000 in legal fees with a solicitor who seems to have run out of ideas.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Norifan wrote: »
    I have a probate application pending which has gone on for 18 months now due to someone applying a caveat. He has since applied two further caveats in different names from the same address and has not put in an appearance to any warnings, simply applied the further caveats in response using various family members names. I now have evidence that the named person on the last caveat does not live at the address and has no knowledge of the caveat whatsoever, I contacted the probate registry to try to arrange a meeting to discuss this but they don't want to know, simply repeating "anyone over the age of 18 can apply a caveat"??
    if they won't help then who can. I must mention that it has already cost me over £4000 in legal fees with a solicitor who seems to have run out of ideas.
    What on earthis your solicitor doing to charge that much? He should have pressed the Probate Office and/or taken the complainent to court for making a vexatious claim. I don.t see how anyone on here can help if your solicitor has failed.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Found this but not sure if it helps https://www.wilsonbrowne.co.uk/guides/what-is-a-caveat/

Others here may need to know what your solicitor has done so far before they can offer advice on 'what now'.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Norifan
    Norifan Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks just wanting to see if any similar experiences with the probate office, the point being if they don't want to know when fraud is committed against government department then it beggars belief
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Thanks just wanting to see if any similar experiences with the probate office, the point being if they don't want to know when fraud is committed against government department then it beggars belief
    Perhaps if you gave more details someone might be able to offer suggestions but considering how much you solicitor must have done to cost that much then it is difficult to know what.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

If this is the last/only caveat still blocking the application then the real person to update the address the court has for them and get them to remove the caveat without alerting that "someone".
  • Norifan
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm hoping for something like that to be honest 'getmore4less' but I doubt it will be the last as the solicitor has sent a warning to the address on the caveat. He says that is what he has to do.
  • Norifan
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks 'yorkshireman' but I feel what has gone on prior to the latest caveat has no relevance now. It would be a long rambling post but basically I am being shafted all round when nobody has a claim on my mother's estate apart from myself. The solicitor hasn't covered himself in glory either. I could send you a pm to give you more idea maybe.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks 'yorkshireman' but I feel what has gone on prior to the latest caveat has no relevance now. It would be a long rambling post but basically I am being shafted all round when nobody has a claim on my mother's estate apart from myself. The solicitor hasn't covered himself in glory either.

Get a new solicitor?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2018 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Fair comment. I think I would follow Mojisola’s advice. I don.t really think there is any other answer. I would be looking to get a serious reduction in the fees. You can ask for his bill to be “taxed” which it will be independently evaluated to see if it is reasonable. Thanks for the PM offer but I doubt I can help any more. It sounds a very unpleasant situation to have been landed with.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I'm hoping for something like that to be honest 'getmore4less' but I doubt it will be the last as the solicitor has sent a warning to the address on the caveat. He says that is what he has to do.

Get the real person named on the caveat to withdraw the caveat.

Have any caveat/warnings resulted in an appearance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure