Santander 5% savings

Options

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 September 2018 at 11:32PM
    Options
    Did he mean that if you set up your standing order to continue after the end date by Tuesday that the RS would automatically renew?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nice way to start a good rumour now I won't sleep tonight as I am fond of my little 5 percent friends. So sad when they grow up after 12 months and leave the nest.
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Santander reg e saver matured yesterday and today when I log on it states my total balance including interest and the figure is what I expected £2464.40.

However I thought that would be transferred into my 123 current acc and another regular started up with a zero balance since they state a new regular saver is set up automatically on maturity if the old one.

I can not imagine they allow the £2460 be the starting balance of the new acc.

Anyone had a matured acc in the last few months and if so what happens?

Thank you.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2018 at 9:13AM
    Options
    The maturity letter says the balance plus the interest will be transferred to your current account 3 days after maturity - so it should move over on Mon/Tues.

If funded by an ongoing standing order the account will then carry on as a new eSaver earning the 5%
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Jester wrote: »
    I took out a 5% savings account with Santander last year. The maximum I could invest was £2400 for a year so I put away £200 every month. It's due to mature next week.

I mistakenly thought I'd earn £120 interest (5% of £2400) but I learned today the way it was calculated on the amount each month i.e 5% of £200 the first month then 5% of £400 the next and so on.

It turns out I've only made around £60. Better than a kick in the gonads I know but I'm pretty sure the way it was sold to me let me think I was earning 5% of £2400.

Anyway I received a call today from my local Santander office telling me if I closed down that account on Monday and withdrew my money and then opened up another savings account I'd start a new savings account 5% for another year. The deal closes on Tuesday.

I could kick myself for not looking at the T&C's correctly and I'd rather go elsewhere but if there's no better out there then I'll do what he mentioned.

So is there any better out there or am I best taking out a new savings account with Santander?

You don't get an actual 5% cut at the end because you didn't have £2400 in all the time, only in the last month.

You get 5% of the average balance, so £1200, as that's what it was after 6 months. Read the Regular Saver page on MSE website, it explains this.
  • jamei305
    Options
    Take consolation in the fact that with a mortgage you don't have to pay interest on the initial loan amount for the entire period of the mortgage as you pay it off.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Did he mean that if you set up your standing order to continue after the end date by Tuesday that the RS would automatically renew?
    That's almost certainly what the OP has been told, as the Santander RS can be funded by a perpetual SO. Clearly, this SO needs to be set up before they close down the RS, which they'd do for the OP no later than Tuesday if there wasn't a perpetual SO. The dates mentioned are only applicable to the OP (and anyone else who happens to have an RS maturing at the same time). There's no general "deal ending on Tuesday" so we can all relax.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    That's almost certainly what the OP has been told, as the Santander RS can be funded by a perpetual SO. Clearly, this SO needs to be set up before they close down the RS, which they'd do for the OP no later than Tuesday if there wasn't a perpetual SO. The dates mentioned are only applicable to the OP (and anyone else who happens to have an RS maturing at the same time). There's no general "deal ending on Tuesday" so we can all relax.

:rotfl:

:eek:

:o
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So to summarise OP, a member of your local branch did a VERY nice gesture by phoning you. You had a reg e-saver that was due to mature at some point this week, the staff member advised you to close it early, open a new one earning 5% knowing that the rate was going down on Tuesday.

IMO that is great service by your branch.

Those who had a reg e-saver mature yesterday and thought it would auto-renew today are probably a little gutted (or unaware of the change).
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    colsten wrote: »
    :rotfl:

:eek:

:o
    hqdefault.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business