Fixed Rate ISA top ups

Options
I am really hoping that someone can help with my query as this has been bothering me for years! It was explained very poorly by my saving provider, so I thought I would have more luck here.

I have a 5 Year Fixed Rate ISA.
I have paid into the ISA only once when I first opened it, but have not touch it since.
I am now into Year 3 of my ISA and I have not added anything to it other than the initial deposit in Year 1.

So my question is - am I allowed to add any more money to it?
I keep reading in places that you have a personal ISA allowance of up to £20,000 for the year, so as I have not put any money in this year, does that mean I can do this?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So my question is - am I allowed to add any more money to it?

not normally.

Each fixed term deposit is usually issued as a tranche. You can pay in during the initial tranche window but after that date, it is withdrawn for new money and a new version issued.
    I keep reading in places that you have a personal ISA allowance of up to £20,000 for the year, so as I have not put any money in this year, does that mean I can do this?

You can put it into their latest tranche if you want.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Shenron
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a little confused (it happens easily), so essentially would I not be able to put any extra money in at any time during the 5 year period?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't pay any money into that particular 5-year product after the initial window has closed (the vast majority operate like that).

However, you can pay up to £20K into any other ISA this tax year (and any/every other tax year) - this is the annual allowance permitted by the ISA scheme rules, as opposed to the terms of a specific product....
  • Shenron
    Options
    Gotcha! So I can open another ISA and put money into that? As long as I don't open more than one ISA in the same year, that correct?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shenron wrote: »
    Gotcha! So I can open another ISA and put money into that? As long as I don't open more than one ISA in the same year, that correct?
    Almost - the rule is that you can only pay new money into (no more than) one ISA of each type in any given tax year, where the four types are cash, S&S, innovative finance and Lifetime.
  • Shenron
    Options
    Perfect, thanks guys. You have been a huge help! :D
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you sure a cash ISA is the best place for your savings?

With a little effort, you can get up to 5% on some of your savings. If you are a standard rate taxpayer, you can earn up to £1000 interest tax free each year.

Have you read this

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account/
  • Shenron
    Options
    Thanks badger09.

I actually already have a few savings accounts with decent interest (with help from the exact link you provided), but I discovered those a bit late. Hence trying to see if my ISA was still worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure